Bean Family Ant Journal

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

russbean

Emily (Lacius?) - Week 11

Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:40 pm

Checking in with Emily on Week 11. I though I'd snap a picture as I moved her to the basement for the winter. She'll be happier where she won't be disturbed by household business.

russbean

Felicia (Lacius) - Week 11

Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:35 pm

Sad news. Checking on Felicia this week, I discovered she had died. There are now obvious answers as to why she died, and the other ants she was housed next to seem fine.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: Felicia (Lacius) - Week 11

Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:11 am

russbean wrote:Sad news. Checking on Felicia this week, I discovered she had died. There are now obvious answers as to why she died, and the other ants she was housed next to seem fine.
Yea I have found 2 out of the 13 queens I collected died also. No real reason, same clean test tubes, same water, same sterile cotton, housed in same holder and same box, collected from same nest. Guess it's just part of nature.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

russbean

Beatrice (Formica) - Week 21

Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:25 pm

Checking in with Beatrice today; it's been over a month. Shortly after her last picture, she and her brood moved into a new formicarium. They seem to have adjusted okay.

russbean

Cindy (Formica) - Week 21

Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:54 pm

Checking in with Cindy and crew finds them all settled in for the winter.

russbean

Dani (Lacius) - Week 17

Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:19 pm

Checking in on Dani and doing a poor job of not disturbing her. She seems to be doing fine watching over her brood.

GriffinAnt

Re: Bean Family Ant Journal

Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:23 am

very cool post please keep it up

russbean

Emily (Lacius) - Week 16

Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:59 pm

Here's Emily, happy in her test tube. Just after taking pictures I put a small drop of honey-water near the cotton plug. She went right for it. If I had waited just a minute before putting her away, I could have taken a picture for the journal. I'll try to remember next time.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:14 pm

Great journal russbean! Love the photos. Do you make your own formicaria?
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

russbean

Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:56 pm

ooper01 wrote:Great journal russbean! Love the photos. Do you make your own formicaria?
Thanks for the encouragement.

I have both made and purchased my formicaria. A partner and I are working on a couple formicaria designs to be shared a few months from now.

Right now, as you can see in this journal, my colonies aren't really big enough to take advantage of most formicaria.

-Russ