Bean Family Ant Journal

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

russbean

Dani (Lacius) - Week 4

Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:21 pm

August 31, 2015

Dani continues to be the attentive mother. She is much more relaxed when I take her picture than the two formica queens ever were.

Week 4

russbean

Emily/Felicia (Lacius?) - Week 3/2

Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:56 pm

August 31, 2015

Nothing new to report for these two. I imagine we won't see anything from them until spring. Still here are some new photos.

Emily Week 3 and Felicia Week 2 Album: http://1drv.ms/1KTqE6g

russbean

Beatrice (Formica) - Week 11

Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:45 pm

September 14, 2015

Things has slowed down with Beatrice. She and the nanitics have been eating, but I haven't seen any new eggs. I don't know if this is normal or not. I'm not familiar with the time between batches of new eggs?

Week 11

russbean

Cindy (Formica) - Week 11

Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:02 pm

September 14, 2015

Cindy's test tube started looking really black, so I attached it to a 3D printed formicarium I printed from Thingiverse. The crew had to be encouraged with a little sunlight to move out, but everyone made it safely. Overall, the transition went pretty smooth. It took a few days for them to settle into the new formicarium. They have started to customize the sand I put in the formicarium that helps distribute moisture.

Week 11

russbean

Dani (Lacius) - Week 6

Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:49 pm

September 14, 2015

Dani continues to care for her larvae. The development of these Lacius seems so much slower than the Formica.

Week 6

russbean

Emily/Felicia (Lacius?) - Week 4/3

Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:57 pm

Nothing has changed with these two. There is a black smudge in the water side of Emily's test tube; I hope it is nothing to be concerned over. The cotton on Felicia's test tube is already starting to show signs of mold. I'll have to keep an eye on things. No pictures of Felicia this week; I put her back before I remembered, and I didn't want to continually upset her.

Emily Week 4:

russbean

Felicia (Lacius) - Week 6

Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:30 pm

October 2, 2015

Just checking in with Felicia now that she has been with us six weeks. Not much has changed. She has eating a couple of drops of honey, which she always snitches when I'm not looking.

russbean

Beatrice (Formica) - Week 14

Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:30 pm

October 3, 2013

Here's Beatrice and crew after being with us 14 weeks. They are still in their original test tube, and they are still attached to an "antpod" as an outworld. I have not caught any of them venturing out of the test tube for a couple weeks. And the food I have left (mealworm, honey, apple) doesn't appear to be touched.

russbean

Cindy (Formica) - Week 14

Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:40 pm

Checked in with Cindy today. She and her workers have used the sand in the formicarium to barricade themselves inside. Apparently, food is not an issue for them right now. For the most part, they stay huddled up in the upper right of the formicarium; this was a shift in their favorite location a few weeks ago. The have also closed up the bottom portion of the formicarium with sand. I don't know if they did this because there was too much moisture in the bottom levels or because there was too much space to feel comfortable.

russbean

Dani (Lacius) - Week 10

Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:26 pm

Here's Dani in her 10th week with us. Looking at the second picture zoomed in, I don't think her larva have been encased yet. I think there are six or seven. I had put a drop of honey in the test tube, and I think she thinned it out with water. Or, maybe it collected moisture from the air. Either way it is a puddle of honey-water now.

<https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A780F7E4BE06F3FE!307931&authkey=!AKQa82QA_HDgyyc&v=3&ithint=photo%2Cjpg>

<https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A780F7E4BE06F3FE!307932&authkey=!ABnt_tfGMWwVR4s&v=3&ithint=photo%2Cjpg>