Bean Family Ant Journal

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

russbean

Beatrice (Formica) - Week 46

Wed May 11, 2016 9:24 pm

So much has been happening around our house, I can hardly keep up. Beatrice has been producing like crazy. Today marks another milestone in that the first of her new brood has emerged. Her original nanitics are starting to die off--four of the original six are gone. So with this new addition, she has three helpers--many, many more on the way. They are pretty much ignoring any sweets I provide, while favoring the superworms and oats.

--This pictures is from three weeks ago when she still had all of her original brood.--

--This is the current family. The newest ant is sticking close to the queen.--

--Here is a better shot at the new ant.--

WillWithAnts

Re: Beatrice (Formica) - Week 46

Thu May 12, 2016 6:39 pm

Awesome update! Is this your only colony right now? F. fusca, right?

russbean

Re: Bean Family Ant Journal

Fri May 13, 2016 6:01 pm

Hey Will,

Thanks for the feedback. I have two of these Formica colonies relatively the same size and age: Beatrice and Cindy. I don't know if they are F. fusca for sure because I haven't become knowledgeable enough about identifying ants, but I will do some additional checking now that you have given me a lead to go on.

We also have a Lacius queen, Dani, but I haven't posted an update on her for a while. She seems to be doing well, but no nanitics yet. She has been nursing larva all winter.

This spring we acquired 4 Camponotus. One has died, but I will start another thread for the other three soon.

Russ

WillWithAnts

Sun May 15, 2016 10:46 am

I just did a little reading about the Formica genus and I confirmed that this genus is crazy huge and diverse. Even when considering just North America, there are groups and subgroups and so on. This source that I read (http://antfarm.yuku.com/topic/11387/Identification-and-Distribution-of-Formica#.VziNjvkrLIW) says the species in this genus almost number to 100 :shock:. This is why IDing formica ants is hard. I doubt you have time to read this, but it may be a useful bookmark. If anything, it will show you how nerdy myrmecologists can sound :lol:!

Anyway, best of luck! I'll be reading your journals!

russbean

Dani (Lacius) - Week 42

Sun May 22, 2016 10:21 pm

I haven't given an update on Dani for quite a while. Week 21, I think. This has been for a couple reasons. One, she was caring for a brood all winter, so I didn't want to disturb her with pictures. Two, not much was really happening. Today, however, a major event has happened for Dani. Her first worker has emerged. She has been alone for 42 weeks, and now she finally has help. Looks like two more will be out in a matter of days. I wish these pictures were better; they're just so small. I hope to get a macro lens soon to get better pics.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Sun May 22, 2016 10:44 pm

Awesome! Glad she has some help now! Good luck on the continuation of the colony!
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted: