Jayden's ant journal

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

JaydenScheepers

Jayden's ant journal

Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:56 pm

Finally I have made a journal, it only took me like what, 3 months? Anyway so I have decided that I will make only one journal for all my ant colonies. I am not yet sure how I will organize my updates, but I will just have to go with the flow.

So my Cataculacus queen has been very hard at work and is now raising the rest of her first generation, she has got two workers at the moment, she has got a pupae two larvae I think and one or two eggs. (sorry for the bad quality, haven't gotten a functional macro lens yet and the micro SD cards keep refusing to work on my cameras).

Next up is my Polyrachis sp. don't know the species just yet, she looks very similar to P. laevissima, P. rastellata, and P. australis. My dealate has got that black shiny appearance with no visible spikes, but she has no red legs, oh and she has a pinck egg which I have never before seen. I think she might be P. rastellata, because their recorded in this country and their alates' has the darkes red legs, they are the least red pronounced. I desepratly want a diffrent out world her her, her current one is more trash than my C. parius' out world. I will have to see how my C. parius' out world comes out after I made it, if it gors well, I will then make one for each of my ants.

My good old Odontomachus, when I fed them with mealworms, they would take it then fatten up their larvae nicely with it, then eat them. To me it sounds a lot like how we treat live stock. After I resorted to what I like to call the roach treatment, I basically just started feeding them dubia roach nymths and LOOK. They have what looks like a mature larvae, hopefully going to pupate soon. Hopefully this good progress coninues and the workers take over daycare, because boy should the queen not be near the brood :|

Yes, finally my C. parius. Look at them, look at all those majors, and there is also one media worker. So cool! I love this colony, I saw a major that is sure sure the biggest one in the colony at the moment and has a head almost as big as the queen's. My newest estamation on their numbers is 140-150, should exceed 200 after this month hopefully, their brood however now looks to be on the low side which is concerning, but the queen could simply be on a break. I see many big cacoons which should either be majors or media workers, also in their new nest they have multiple chambers and split their brood into smaller groups which and put into those chambers, here is the weird thing though their not organized in pupae , larvae, and eggs. It's just oh ok a few pupae and larvae her and a few pupae and larvae there, is this normal for Camponotus or other ants in general? or is it a sign that their not happy where they are?
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Jayden's ant journal

Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:36 pm

Nice to finally see a journal that has pictures that aren't in links ;)
When you accidentally reply to yourself…