My Camponotus Queen Journal

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

Joshua09

My Camponotus Queen Journal

Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:55 am

Thursday, June 16, 2022 (Day is the day that I caught this queen)

At the night, I saw the queen with wings in the windows, I caught her inside the test tube. I measure her size. She is almost 10.5 millimeters. I am searching for a species of the queen I caught. So, I am going to AntsCanada Forum to ask about what type of species I have caught. The member gave me a lot of scientific species names so I search, search, and search, and then, I think this was Camponotus Maculatus Subnudus (Check if this queen is right, just in case). Her gaster was pretty big.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MjAE4BCu47EJzALY7

Saturday, June 18, 2022 (Her wings broke off)

In the morning, I saw her wings break off, I tried to feed her honey but she is still full so she didn’t accept it.

Monday, June 19, 2022 (Laid Eggs)

In the morning, I saw 3 eggs. I was happy and a little bit surprised. Her eggs are big and fat.

Friday, June 23, 2022 (More eggs)

In the morning, I saw more eggs. They are too many to count. I am surprised and very happy.

Wednesday, July 6, 2022 (Eggs Hatched)

When I came to check the queen, I saw a different shape of the egg now, I think the egg had already become larvae.
Friday, July 8, 2022 (Some Of The Larvae Getting Bigger And Some Of The Eggs Hatched)

This morning, the larvae got bigger and bigger and some of them are still eggs. I tried to feed her honey but she rejected it again. (I tried to show you the picture but still blurry and hard to focus)

Sunday, 17 July 2022 (Some of the Larvae Turned Into Pupae But *****!)

That Morning, the larvae turned into pupae but *****. I was surprised to see this. I know that Camponotus have cocoons but not this one. Maybe her larvae have not had enough protein.

Friday, 21 July 2022 (I Made A Plaster Ant Nest For My Queen And Her Future Workers)

I started to make an ant nest made out of plaster and it’s done. There are 2 plaster ant nests; blue and natural. The blue one has tape on the glass because I tried glue to stick the glass but it always comes off, but I put glue at the end of the tape just in case, no ants can invade. The natural one is not yet done. Still need to put the glass on top and buy some blu-tack. After making that, I started to see her gaster getting thin so I fed her with honey then, she accepted the honey then after a few minutes, she started to go back to her brood pile then after that, she goes back to get the honey. She repeated and repeated. Until her gaster is getting big full of honey. Just like before the day, I caught her.

Monday, 25 July 2022 (The first worker emerges)

This afternoon, I saw a worker ant standing there and hardening up. I am surprised and I am happy. I enjoyed this part of ant keeping.

Joshua09

Re: My Camponotus Queen Journal

Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:16 am

Sunday, 21 August 2022 (Moved Into The New Nest)

After 1 month, I saw there is mold growth and my ants are starting to get rid of the cotton to get outside so I connected the old nest to the new nest. Putting darkness on the new nest and waiting for them to move but still, they do not want to move. I have no heating cable and my heat mat is taking so long (delivery). I have no choice because the mold is starting to grow a little bit fast so I put all the ants into their new outworld and connected their new nest to the outworld. My ants are trying to find the safest place that has darkness. The queen ant is still alive and has no injuries. I do not recommend this but still, I have no choice so I did this.

Sunday, 28 August 2022 (Live Grasshopper vs. Ants)

That morning, I was just checking my ant colony and starting about feeding them a live insect. So I got a grasshopper and removed his long legs which are used for hopping so that they cannot get injured. Then, I put the grasshopper into the outworld and the ants are starting to grab the grasshopper to the nest but when the grasshopper moves, the ants started biting and stinging its prey. Then after that, they are drinking the juices and the queen is starting to bite hard to get more meat and protein.

Joshua09

Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:43 pm

Thursday, September 01, 2022

I gave my ant colony a name, The Woodland Colony. My queen has 18 workers now. They are always active at night and my ants are trying to do something with the ventilation holes but they won't likely going to escape.

Joshua09

Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:21 am

Sunday, September 9, 2022 (My Colony Has Various Sizes Of Workers)

After 7 days, I saw a worker ant that was bigger than the small minor workers. I was surprised and happy. I fed them honey and they liked it as usual.

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:11 pm

Joshua09 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:21 am
Sunday, September 9, 2022 (My Colony Has Various Sizes Of Workers)

After 7 days, I saw a worker ant that was bigger than the small minor workers. I was surprised and happy. I fed them honey and they liked it as usual.
Now that you have media you may actually be able to give them table food
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Joshua09

Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:31 am

Thursday, September 15, 2022 (Ants are escaping!!!)

After when I woke up, I saw workers escaping!!! So, I only have 13 workers. From 18 to 13 :( .They haven't eaten so I gave them a grape. So eating local is good.

Joshua09

Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:45 pm

Joshua09 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:31 am
Thursday, September 15, 2022 (Ants are escaping!!!)

After when I woke up, I saw workers escaping!!! So, I only have 13 workers. From 18 to 13 :( .They haven't eaten so I gave them a grape. So eating local is good.
But good thing I saw 3 more ants so there are 16.

Joshua09

Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:39 pm

Saturday, September 17, 2022 (More Appearing Ants)

I decided to check on them after 2 days so they grew in numbers again because as soon as I fed them, the bigger the population. There were 18 ants now but with the queen, of course, 19. All the larvae are growing fast. The last time, I fed them grapes with a grasshopper because they haven't eaten so that's why they grew in numbers again.

Joshua09

Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:57 pm

Monday, September 26, 2022 (Sad News And Surprising Creature Invaded)

This morning, there was a fire ant queen inside a nest! But I let them be because they can handle it. But after 2 hours, she was dead and there are so many dead workers covered with cotton to prevent mold. I was shocked and they were reduced to 13. This is sad but I fed them a grasshopper again to eat for egg production. The nest inside is almost full of garbage so they stayed in the entrance.

Joshua09

Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:53 pm

Tuesday, September 27, 2022 (Bad News and The Ending)

Bad News is they did not eat because there are no food in the abdomen and the ending is the queen is dead. The colony has reached its ending.