My first ant colony journal

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

LakeSideAntKeeperIL

My first ant colony journal

Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:00 pm

Hello everyone, so today I am going to start a ant journal. About a 1-2 weeks ago I caught a queen ant as I was walking into my house. It was a pain to actually get her inside because I didn't have a container on hand so I had to use a leaf to carry her in. :lol: I didn't want to start the journal early in case she wasn't fertilized, but I think she is judging by her taking care of the brood.

I soon prepared a test tube set up, and put her in a dark place with no vibrations where she is now raising a clutch of eggs that she's laid. I cant tell if they have already developed into larvae, but in a week or two I will check back on her and see how she's doing. I am still trying to decide if I want to use a ant tower setup, or a hybrid nest. Either way Im excited to see her first nanitics! :D

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: My first ant colony journal

Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:43 am

LakeSideAntKeeperIL wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:00 pm
Hello everyone, so today I am going to start a ant journal. About a 1-2 weeks ago I caught a queen ant as I was walking into my house. It was a pain to actually get her inside because I didn't have a container on hand so I had to use a leaf to carry her in. :lol: I didn't want to start the journal early in case she wasn't fertilized, but I think she is judging by her taking care of the brood.

I soon prepared a test tube set up, and put her in a dark place with no vibrations where she is now raising a clutch of eggs that she's laid. I cant tell if they have already developed into larvae, but in a week or two I will check back on her and see how she's doing. I am still trying to decide if I want to use a ant tower setup, or a hybrid nest. Either way Im excited to see her first nanitics! :D

Nice journal! Species?
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

LakeSideAntKeeperIL

Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:27 pm

Not quite sure yet. I asked on the identification thread but I need to measure her before there is a clear distinction. I will do that as soon as the first worker ants are here. :D So far its debated between a Pheidole sp. or a Tetramorium sp. :?: but once I get that measurement it will become much easier to determine.

LakeSideAntKeeperIL

Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:55 pm

So its been around 19 days since I first caught this queen ant. I decided to take her out to see how she is doing, and how the brood are developing and it appears some of the eggs she has laid have developed into larva, although hard to see with the quality of the shot. :D

I'd give it maybe around 2 more weeks until they develop into nanitics, but with the temperature it could prolong their development so who knows.