Bill P.'s Camponotus Herculeanus (Dark Morph) Journey & Journal

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

BillPisechko

Bill P.'s Camponotus Herculeanus (Dark Morph) Journey & Journal

Fri May 06, 2022 7:03 pm

Initial Post 5/6/22

The time had come...after countless hours of lost sleep watching YouTube, reading blogs, surfing websites and just plain being too anal about stupid things, I've pulled the trigger.
My first nest and out world are ordered from Wakooshi (see pic); my Queen w/5-9 workers is ordered (see stock pic); too many supplies and dishes are ordered (see pics). I just need to pick up some byFormica nectar this weekend and I'll be ready.
The waiting game begins. I'm going to make a concerted effort to keep this journal up to date in the hopes that other new folks might benefit and that I may receive some advice, tips and tricks from time to time.
That's all for now... If you have questions or comments, fire away. If you have input, please bring it on. I am looking forward to learning a lot and happening a nice little adventure along the way.

Peace...Bill P.

PS... Can't add pics... Not sure why and video that's supposed to explain it is private so I couldn't watch it.
Bill P.
NOOB Ant Keeper :ugeek:
1st Ant Colony(May 22) - C. Herculeanus

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Bill P.'s Camponotus Herculeanus (Dark Morph) Journey & Journal

Fri May 06, 2022 10:10 pm

BillPisechko wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 7:03 pm
Initial Post 5/6/22

The time had come...after countless hours of lost sleep watching YouTube, reading blogs, surfing websites and just plain being too anal about stupid things, I've pulled the trigger.
My first nest and out world are ordered from Wakooshi (see pic); my Queen w/5-9 workers is ordered (see stock pic); too many supplies and dishes are ordered (see pics). I just need to pick up some byFormica nectar this weekend and I'll be ready.
The waiting game begins. I'm going to make a concerted effort to keep this journal up to date in the hopes that other new folks might benefit and that I may receive some advice, tips and tricks from time to time.
That's all for now... If you have questions or comments, fire away. If you have input, please bring it on. I am looking forward to learning a lot and happening a nice little adventure along the way.

Peace...Bill P.

PS... Can't add pics... Not sure why and video that's supposed to explain it is private so I couldn't watch it.
Good luck! Finally, someone who is beginning to share experience of this species. Many questions regarding them are posted.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

BillPisechko

Thu May 12, 2022 6:30 pm

The day has arrived!! My queen is here. I have her and 4 workers. I think the workers are trying to get out already, but what the hell do I know? Lol!

I can't post pics so if anyone is REALLY bored you can click link before and see public Google Drive folder.

Nest and outworld from Wakooshi should be here in a few days... Workers "appear" to be trying to get out so maybe I'll put test tube in outworld and see what happens? Thoughts?

Gonna grab some nectar, worms and rock sugar(as instructed) on Saturday and see if they'll eat a little? Thoughts?

Have her in dark and quiet place and won't peek again until Saturday... But it's gonna be hard. :)
More to come soon.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17oaWxgb3VEAPnL1-l5rUzZ

Peace & Happy Anting...Bill P.
Bill P.

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu May 12, 2022 8:06 pm

BillPisechko wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 6:30 pm
The day has arrived!! My queen is here. I have her and 4 workers. I think the workers are trying to get out already, but what the hell do I know? Lol!

I can't post pics so if anyone is REALLY bored you can click link before and see public Google Drive folder.

Nest and outworld from Wakooshi should be here in a few days... Workers "appear" to be trying to get out so maybe I'll put test tube in outworld and see what happens? Thoughts?

Gonna grab some nectar, worms and rock sugar(as instructed) on Saturday and see if they'll eat a little? Thoughts?

Have her in dark and quiet place and won't peek again until Saturday... But it's gonna be hard. :)
More to come soon.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17oaWxgb3VEAPnL1-l5rUzZ

Peace & Happy Anting...Bill P.
Camponotus can have outworlds from day one… the workers may be looking for nectar, put a dab of sugar water with them for a few hours. If it’s not gone, dry it with a Cotten ball. Use imagur if nessecary.

Keep us updated! If you learn some tips and tricks for these ants, maybe you can help some beginners on here! ;)

BillPisechko

Fri May 13, 2022 8:27 pm

My Wakooshi nest and outworld have "landed" in Chicago! I should get it Monday or Tuesday!!!

Gonna try and feed the critters tomorrow. A little chopped up protein and some hummingbird nectar until I can order some byFormica.

Peace & Happy Anting... Bill P. 8-)
Bill P.

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri May 13, 2022 10:33 pm

BillPisechko wrote:
My Wakooshi nest and outworld have "landed" in Chicago! I should get it Monday or Tuesday!!!

Gonna try and feed the critters tomorrow. A little chopped up protein and some hummingbird nectar until I can order some byFormica.

Also, use hummingbird nectar in a 1:1 ratio with water, that way the ants don’t use it as quick. I do this with mine, as i got bored and actually read about ant nectar. I really need to read the labels of things more often :lol:

BillPisechko

Sat May 14, 2022 10:25 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
BillPisechko wrote:

Also, use hummingbird nectar in a 1:1 ratio with water, that way the ants don’t use it as quick. I do this with mine, as i got bored and actually read about ant nectar. I really need to read the labels of things more often :lol:
So do you recommend cutting the hummingbird nectar in a 1 to 1 ratio so that it lasts longer or to control sugar intake of the ants?
Bill P.

Antloverhuman

Sat May 14, 2022 11:14 am

BillPisechko wrote:

Dang, i completely forgot that wakooshi was a store :lol:
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat May 14, 2022 11:15 am

BillPisechko wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 10:25 am
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
BillPisechko wrote:

So do you recommend cutting the hummingbird nectar in a 1 to 1 ratio so that it lasts longer or to control sugar intake of the ants?
Yes, dilute it in equal parts water as nectar(It’s fine if it is too complicated just saves some nectar)

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat May 14, 2022 11:19 am

Antloverhuman wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 11:14 am
BillPisechko wrote:

Dang, i completely forgot that wakooshi was a store :lol:
Didn’t even know it was a store until a few days ago :lol:

Their formicarium are quite modern, a bit too much for me. But if I ever need 3d printed ant nests, I’ll know where to go