Camponotus Floridanus Journal

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Camponotus Floridanus Journal

Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:55 pm

Just fed some superworms and flightless fruit flies.

Sorry for bad quality, was using a wide angle lense for some reason…

Photo link
https://www.formiculture.com/topic/17986-photography-for-ac/
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:51 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Photo link
Feeding time again. Colony is up to 75+ workers, and the queen is laying a new batch of eggs. They really enjoy variety and meals much larger than themselves.

Have begun to notice that the ants become less nocturnal as they get larger, and will even get full meals during day, and there is now activity all day. I don’t know why they dig in dry sand :lol:

Same photo link

SYUTEO

Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:31 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Photo link
Feeding time again. Colony is up to 75+ workers, and the queen is laying a new batch of eggs. They really enjoy variety and meals much larger than themselves.

Have begun to notice that the ants become less nocturnal as they get larger, and will even get full meals during day, and there is now activity all day. I don’t know why they dig in dry sand :lol:

Same photo link
Maybe it's because they like it super dry?

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:43 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:31 am
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Photo link

Same photo link
Maybe it's because they like it super dry?
Possibly, but now I’m trying to figure out how I prevent them from ruining the outworld :lol:

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:01 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:42 pm
Here is a link to some photos!

Just an update: The ants destroyed the outworld over the weekend, ripping up the soil and sand.
I tried to give them a nice outworld, with sand and a dirt path running through, but they ripped it all up… I guess they get a simple sand arena now….
I am now giving them nectar once every 3 days for the look of the repletes. They look absolutely amazing with the swollen transparent gasters. Same picture link, as usual

Also, how do I remove poop from the nest? I only have one type of nest for this size of colony, and springtails are hunted down and killed. When I had them in a large tube, they would try to move into outworld because of humidity in the tube. I may try to attach a nest I tried to move them into, and they moved there poop there…

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:42 pm

They have very many nantic cocoons. Been feeding them lots, I guess they have been investing a lot into the major and media cocoons.

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:15 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Just an update: The ants destroyed the outworld over the weekend, ripping up the soil and sand.
I tried to give them a nice outworld, with sand and a dirt path running through, but they ripped it all up… I guess they get a simple sand arena now….
I am now giving them nectar once every 3 days for the look of the repletes. They look absolutely amazing with the swollen transparent gasters. Same picture link, as usual

Also, how do I remove poop from the nest? I only have one type of nest for this size of colony, and springtails are hunted down and killed. When I had them in a large tube, they would try to move into outworld because of humidity in the tube. I may try to attach a nest I tried to move them into, and they moved there poop there…
Mites have struck. May try to wait it out, as a new batch of workers is hatching. Only spotted one mite…

SYUTEO

Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:12 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Mites have struck. May try to wait it out, as a new batch of workers is hatching. Only spotted one mite…
If you see the mite or the infected worker come out of the nest you should remove it as soon as possible or risk losing your entire colony.

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:43 am

SYUTEO wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:12 am
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

If you see the mite or the infected worker come out of the nest you should remove it as soon as possible or risk losing your entire colony.
I went to the extreme… This species is highly aggressive, even in small colonies little as a few workers.. but now with majors….

Whenever I see an infected worker, I open the test tube, reach tweezers in and try to scare it out or grab him. I usually collect 25 ants if I cover up the tube when I am done…(I have two tubes and I don’t do this with the tube the queen is in)