Camponotus Floridanus Journal

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

SolenopsisKeeper

Camponotus Floridanus Journal

Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:48 pm

Greetings to all!
This is the start of my Camponotus Floridanus journal.

(Not and ID post) Can someone confirm the species of Camponotus Floridanus? I can’t get exact queen measurements, but I have good enough pictures.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/195195950@N07/shares/FBRk7z

Photo on AC may not work.

Aside from that, my Colony just had its first major! I said this a while ago on another topic, but this one is much larger. Also, the queen seems to keep on laying eggs. I believe this is one of the fastest growing Camponotus colony, as it is 6 months old now from queens capture, and they already have 38 workers… is this fast? I feel like it is, as I thought most Camponotus take one year for 50 workers.(Note: They will have more by the time you read this, they are hatching as I type)
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Camponotus Floridanus Journal

Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:14 pm

I gave them springtails today… I honestly do not know if they will eat them…

Update:
The ants catch them, bring them to their test tube, and when they let go the springtails start running around. Springtails playing dead or are the ants trying to get them to a better location?

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:25 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Update:
The ants catch them, bring them to their test tube, and when they let go the springtails start running around. Springtails playing dead or are the ants trying to get them to a better location?
They ate them in the end. I gave the ants a smaller nest to move into, and they moved their poop into it instead. Appreciation at its finest :lol:

On a feeding note, I am actually scared of the majors now that I can see what they can do… I gave them a dry superworms who’s exoskeleton was hard and couldn’t be crushed with my own wait… I come back and they have cut a hole in it. I wonder what those teeth would do to your flesh…

Antloverhuman

Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:41 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Update:
They ate them in the end. I gave the ants a smaller nest to move into, and they moved their poop into it instead. Appreciation at its finest :lol:

On a feeding note, I am actually scared of the majors now that I can see what they can do… I gave them a dry superworms who’s exoskeleton was hard and couldn’t be crushed with my own wait… I come back and they have cut a hole in it. I wonder what those teeth would do to your flesh…
Probably take a bite outta you :? :shock:
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

SYUTEO

Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:27 am

Antloverhuman wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Update:

It's sure going to hurt and I heard that the supermajors can draw out blood. I've been bitten by Dinomyrmex gigas minors before and it hurts badly, don't wanna know what either (both C. floridanus and D. gigas supermajors) of their bites feel like.

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:43 am

SYUTEO wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:27 am
Antloverhuman wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

It's sure going to hurt and I heard that the supermajors can draw out blood. I've been bitten by Dinomyrmex gigas minors before and it hurts badly, don't wanna know what either (both C. floridanus and D. gigas supermajors) of their bites feel like.
I don’t even have super majors yet… I wonder if they could eat a hole threw the tubing, but they aren’t know to chew wood.

RespectforAnts

Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:04 pm

I have had C. Pennsylvanicus majors bite me on the thumb where the side of the nail meets the skin and that hurts. :D lol
C. Novaeboracensis (my favorite ant
C. Pennsylvannicus x2
Tetramorium Immigrans x2

SYUTEO

Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:51 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Greetings to all!

(Not and ID post) Can someone confirm the species of Camponotus Floridanus? I can’t get exact queen measurements, but I have good enough pictures.

Aside from that, my Colony just had its first major! I said this a while ago on another topic, but this one is much larger. Also, the queen seems to keep on laying eggs. I believe this is one of the fastest growing Camponotus colony, as it is 6 months old now from queens capture, and they already have 38 workers… is this fast? I feel like it is, as I thought most Camponotus take one year for 50 workers.(Note: They will have more by the time you read this, they are hatching as I type)
C. floridanus is known to be escape artists, even one piece of debris on a barrier is enough for them to cross it.

And for their growth rate no, that's not fast at all for this species, they can get to 1000 workers in a year but it seems like you can control their popuation.

You can post the photos on Formiculture for them to confirm their species.

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:37 am

SYUTEO wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:51 pm
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Greetings to all!

C. floridanus is known to be escape artists, even one piece of debris on a barrier is enough for them to cross it.

And for their growth rate no, that's not fast at all for this species, they can get to 1000 workers in a year but it seems like you can control their popuation.

You can post the photos on Formiculture for them to confirm their species.
Yes, I have noticed they can escape easily… I have them in a closed outworld(Aus ants small) may consider buying a larger outworld later.

I think that is fast for Camponotus genus, not the species though. They have 50 workers now and there is so many cocoons that the workers look like nothing compared to the cocoon count.

As for formiculture photos, will link a topic here at some point.

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:42 pm

Here is a link to some photos!
https://www.formiculture.com/topic/17986-photography-for-ac/

Just an update: The ants destroyed the outworld over the weekend, ripping up the soil and sand.
I tried to give them a nice outworld, with sand and a dirt path running through, but they ripped it all up… I guess they get a simple sand arena now….