Prenolepis Imparis Journal

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

CombinedHalo467

Re: Prenolepis Imparis Journal

Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:05 pm

Yeah, right now I have them in the garage and its about 50-60 degrees in there and they seem to like it. The queen has been moving more and the workers are more active. Hope they move soon.
A prenolepis imparis colony with repletes and a big queen also 10 chickens and 1 annoying brother.

Ants Are Awesome

CombinedHalo467

Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:17 pm

They have been acting kind of sluggish and I am worried because they are not moving into new test tube. Any tips on moving them, I tried using a flashlight once but they did not do anythng other than get annoyed. I do not have access to a heating cable and I dont really want to try that because I fear they will die. Normally it wouldnt be a problem but since I have connected the test tubes I cant get in without feeding them, and I am concerned that their repletes will run out. I made an outwold today and I am wondering if I should give it to them, they have around 20 workers are they too small yet for one? I asked for an AC test tube portal for christmas, should I wait until christmas and give them the portal or should I give them the outworld? Thanks
A prenolepis imparis colony with repletes and a big queen also 10 chickens and 1 annoying brother.

Ants Are Awesome

CombinedHalo467

Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:00 am

After the ants settle down into a certain temperature they dont move and just sit there. Also today I saw thequeen curling and I am worried she might be dying but it could also mean she is cleaning herself or laying eggs but it is to early for her to lay eggs. On a different
note they still have not moved, I am going to try more light today but any other tips are welcome.

Ants Are Awesome

AntLuvForever

Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:12 pm

Idk if this can work for you. But if you have a lamp that produces heat, then you can position them under it. You can open it maybe 1-3 hours a day. This may help keep the queen warm but not to warm (maybe like 1-2 celsius above freezing)
Ant Colonies I Own :

(Prenolepis imparis)--Subzero

(Tetramorium immigrans)--The Concrete Angles

(Formica neogagates)--The Unyielding Legion

CombinedHalo467

Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:59 pm

I dont really want to use heat because whenever I bring them inside they cram against the cotton but in the garage they seem to be liking it as they are spreading out all over but they still have not moved. Today I took them out and looked at them and noticed their repletes are low so in a last ditch effort a propped up the tube and will hope they will move to the other test tube before I have to take it apart to feed them. I also have a question and it is: I have heard that they store fatty proteins and stuff in the repletes as well as sugar but I have access to sugar and honey but no proteins other than whats in the fridge and 18% protein chicken feed and I cant get insects because it's winter (we just got our first real snow today) but are there other things like honey has a little protein I think but probabaly not enough. Sorry for long post, Thanks

Ants Are Awesome

AntsLuxembourg

Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:57 am

CombinedHalo467 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:59 pm
I dont really want to use heat because whenever I bring them inside they cram against the cotton but in the garage they seem to be liking it as they are spreading out all over but they still have not moved. Today I took them out and looked at them and noticed their repletes are low so in a last ditch effort a propped up the tube and will hope they will move to the other test tube before I have to take it apart to feed them. I also have a question and it is: I have heard that they store fatty proteins and stuff in the repletes as well as sugar but I have access to sugar and honey but no proteins other than whats in the fridge and 18% protein chicken feed and I cant get insects because it's winter (we just got our first real snow today) but are there other things like honey has a little protein I think but probabaly not enough. Sorry for long post, Thanks
You can try soft boiled egg white. But they should also be able to stay well fed on honey if needed.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

CombinedHalo467

Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:02 pm

Ok thanks for the tip

Ants Are Awesome

CombinedHalo467

Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:45 pm

I putting them under a lamp with some heat for a few mins and the queen is so stubborn

Ants Are Awesome

CombinedHalo467

Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:22 pm

I even tried the lemon water trick for them and they do not really care. I have heard these ants are pretty lazy as far as ants go, maybe thats playing a factor. I think i willattept to gently dump them.

Ants Are Awesome

CombinedHalo467

Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:35 pm

I fear the plan may have backfired now they are just sitting on the cotton not moving and I think i saw a dead ant in the outworld but I am not really worried I think the nanatics life span is almost over but they just will not move. They are so stubborn!! aahhh

Ants Are Awesome