Southern Fire Ant

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

Should I try to find a queen ant or dig a small colony up?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:21 pm

YES, dig one up since it's easier.
50%
NO, give it some time and you'll find one.
50%

Total votes: 2

SunNewToAnts

Southern Fire Ant

Thu May 13, 2021 9:21 pm

I live in Southern California near the beach and we have these little little reddish brown ants. Their super small and by touching them can harm them. Near my house one night I walked by this colony having their neptual flight. I saw winged ants males and queens. The hardest thing is these ants are like less than half a centimeter but I notice they grow fast quickly. My question is tips on how to find them as they are like the same size as any other worker ant. To and at my park we have at least 10+ of these ant nest. Their really common but when u see a ant alone theres more behind that ant. Wing scars are too hard to tell as I can't check every ant and their too small. Can you tell me when they usually have their neptual flight if u live near here? If not I will try to dig a small colony outside near my house.

I'm sorry if I did a mistake on this forum and um new to ants.

AM1C39

Re: Southern Fire Ant

Fri May 14, 2021 6:44 am

Post some photos of them so we can identifie them and only then can we tell you when they have their nuptial flights.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]