AM1C39's Journal (many colonies)

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

AM1C39

AM1C39's Journal (many colonies)

Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:51 am

I have never thought about making a journal on the forum (even thought I have one on paper) until I captured my newest colony witch mite be the colony I will be talking about the most on this tread. Two days ago (6 apr 2021) me and a friend where bug hunting in the woods and we accidentally found a colony living in wood. I had not planed on catching that colony until I saw multiple queens running for cover. Because I had known it was a multi queened colony I decided to catch them. At the end of the day I had 3 queens and about 30 workers in a test tube setup. The next day (7 apr 2021) I went to look to see what the nest (the one outside) had been doing and they were doing fine so I decided to catch some more. Presently there is 5 queens and about 100 workers I will not be collecting anymore from that colony and they will not die eater because they still have some queens. I have identified them as formica neogagates. I will keep you all updated of what is happening with that colony (witch needs a name got any ideas?) and I will also update you all on my other colonies as well... eventually. :)
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

AM1C39

Re: AM1C39's Journal (many colonies)

Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:50 am

• Test_o's colony (camponotus novaeboracensis): test_o is what I named the queen.. who died. The workers (there is 11 of them) are living in a mini nest I made. They have no brood and I will probably not do many updates of this colony because there is nothing very interesting happening or that will happen.
  • The power of war (camponotus novaeboracensis): I named them that because of their colors (black=power, red=war). they are living in a wooden vertical nest I made but have not completely moved in. There are 7 workers and lots and lots of brood.
  • The black hearths (crematogaster cerasi): One queen and about 50 eggs.
  • The shadow ants (formica subaenescens): One queen and only 3 workers, no brood yet.
I will only do updates if there is something very interesting that has happened.
My current colonies:

AM1C39

Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:59 pm

I and a friend have decided to name the formica neogagates colony the miniature military.
My current colonies:

AM1C39

Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:59 pm

Today I noticed that test_o's colony made an escape tunnel, they tunneled true the foam the mini nest was made out of. I captured 9 of them but two are still missing. Two days ago (9 april 2021) I started moving the miniature military into their new home (vertical wooden nest) and today they are still not moved in all 5 queens are still in the test tube. They have established a grave yard and there are a lot of dead bodies (about 30) I was not expecting that meany dead bodies it surprised me.
My current colonies:

AM1C39

Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:44 pm

Today I released Test_o's colony because they had no more meaning without a queen and would be happier to live the rest of their lives outside. I still have not found the two lost workers they are probably dead :( . One of the miniature military's workers kept escaping, this one worker that was somewhat smaller than the rest kept getting thru a really small crack and I know it was the same worker every time. I put some sugar by the crack so he would get some and go back. When he was back in the nest and I put some cotton thru the crack... he got out again but he just got some sugar and went back. This time I put the cotton in better and I think it has worked, but the crack he is getting thru is beside the lid so every time I open it I will have to put the cotton back properly :roll: .
My current colonies:

AM1C39

Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:34 am

I recently put olive oil in and around the crack that they have been escaping from because I have seen the one ant wandering around again. So for the olive oil it seems to be working but I will have to put new olive oil there about every month. Oh and also, I used spicy olive oil :lol: .
My current colonies:

AM1C39

Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:41 am

About the olive oil it did not work, probably because i need virgin olive oil. So I had just stuffed the crack with 5 times more cotton. that worked. I think the power of war (carpenter ants) are getting their first major. They only have 7 workers (and lots of brood) but this larva is bigger then the other ones and is bigger then the cocoons, it is probably because I have been feeding them so well. I will do an update when the next generation of workers has hatched.
My current colonies:

AM1C39

Sun May 09, 2021 2:18 pm

I gave the shadow ants(formica subaenescens) to someone as I already have a formica colony. Currently using a hot lamp to try to get my crematogaste cerasi queen to move.
My current colonies:

AM1C39

Mon May 10, 2021 7:28 am

The hot lamp did not work it just caused a flood so I moved them myself.
My current colonies:

Antnerd
Location: New Hampshire, USA, North America, earth, our solar system, the Milky Way.

Mon May 10, 2021 2:53 pm

Decided to check out your journal since you replied to my posts
It seems cool
I know things