Tetramorium Ants Journal

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

TalANTFlame

Tetramorium Ants Journal

Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:39 am

After using a water w/ lemon technique, a lured out a queen! I also gave her about fourteen workers, and one larvae. (I think.) Though I'm really nervous. Her eggs will take a few weeks to develop, and I've seen less and less activity. No, they do not hibernate here. I do know some have died, but I'm really worried. What if I got really old workers and they'll die, then the queen will be alone for several weeks. I know they can survive months without food, but if the workers die then what if their isn't enough food stored, after all, its thanks to numerous workers for months without food. I'll keep you updated, luckily, she appears very healthy and active except for one strange activity. She moves around a lot. I'm hoping that this is normal, and she's just finding the best spots. She's my very first so anyone got any names for her and her future colony? I'd appreciate your input on all situations.
Owner of:
x1 Possibly Paratrechina Longicornis :D
x1 Twin Tailed Halfmoon fish
x1 mealworm farm

AM1C39

Re: Tetramorium Ants Journal

Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:55 am

Your colony should be fine, knotting to worry about. You could name the queen lemonade. Exactly how did you do the lemon technique, did you do it on a colony that lives in dirt, how mush lemon water did you use?
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

TalANTFlame

Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:26 pm

Good question. First, I simply cut a lemon in half, and squeezed most of it into a cup of water. I don't think the measurement has to be precise. Then I put it in a spray bottle. The nest was in the dirt, (the part I sprayed.) and just up the corner of the pavement there was another nest. I do not recommend putting it in the pavement, as a fear it could drown the ants. BTW I had a bad spray bottle, but it basicaly shot big drops and not mist. So I leaked the lemon water, a little bit at a time, into the nest, every now and then, I'd spray the dirt for it to soak into the tunnels so they wouldn't hide. I probably didn't need to spray as much as I did, but it overall worked. Because they were at an inside corner, I had to use a cotton swab to capture the queen. This was a 5+ queen ant colony. I failed several times until I got my first queen! So I test tubed her up and put her in the dark, along with about two workers and one larvae. Then I went back outside to gather some workers. I did it about three times, getting about four workers each time. They seem to have been really enjoying the maple syrup I gave them. I also tried some mealworms. They aren't dried mealworms, but they weren't alive either. They were vacuum sealed and pretty juicy. (And smelly.) They didn't except, but I think they took the chicken I gave them. It was a lot, so once it dried I took it out, but one of the times I saw it a worker appeared to be eating it. I don't think they will need food for several weeks though.
Basically, half a lemon w/ water. Leak onto dirt nest. Wait 30+ min to spot queen. Cotton swab at inside corners.
Oh I almost forgot! She is officially named Lemonade!
Owner of:
x1 mealworm farm

TalANTFlame

Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:35 pm

Uhhhhh, I have a confession. Turns out it's not a tetramorium colony. They're Pheidole ants. Here's why, they're polymorphic, polygyne, they are scaredy cats, they're small, they love moisture, hate light, ect.
Owner of:
x1 mealworm farm

TalANTFlame

Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:55 pm

Good news and bad news. All my workers died off. However, I gathered more workers from outside and I think they're good with the queen. She isn't dead. I didn't manage to find any queen ants though. If I find Lemonade dead, or if the workers are avoiding her, I'll be sure to let yall know.
Owner of:
x1 mealworm farm

TalANTFlame

Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:58 pm

More news! I was watching the ants outside and saw a queen covered in workers!!! I test tubed her up, and introduced her to the other queen. Lemonade seems to avoid her, but I think they'll eventually become used to each other. The workers are caring for them both though. :D Oh, also, my new queen has wings. Their nuptial flight is in three months, so I'm wondering, would they be already producing alates. I'm 90% certain that she's female. But if she's mated and survives, I'll be sure to try and come up with a name.
Owner of:
x1 mealworm farm

TalANTFlame

Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:56 pm

She's doing good, haven't seen any larvae though. They have accepted a cockroach leg though. They should be okay for now.
Owner of:
x1 mealworm farm

CombinedHalo467

Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:54 pm

itll be fun to see where this goes good luck :lol:
A prenolepis imparis colony with repletes and a big queen also 10 chickens and 1 annoying brother.

Ants Are Awesome