ooper's Pogonomyrmex occidentalis colony (#1)

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: ooper's Pogonomyrmex occidentalis colony (#1)

Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:18 pm

April 17, 2016
Two days of digging and they have started to move brood and food into the new nest.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:15 am

Pretty damn cool seeing them moving into the new nest! Thanks for the video update.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

ooper01
Head Moderator

Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:28 pm

June 3, 2016
It's been about 7 weeks now in the new formicarium. They have completely excavated across the entire formicarium. There is still a little excavation going on, but not much anymore. They are just growing the colony. I don't know how many ants are in the colony now. I would guess anywhere from 300 - 500. I haven't been able to find the queen for several months now.

~ ooper

Forum Moderator

WillWithAnts

Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:13 am

This is wicked cool. Great design, I love it! I want to build something this cool!

AntsRule

Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:36 pm

If you do not mind me asking, What is the measurement between the two panes of glass? Also where did you learn to build this? :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:08 pm

WillWithAnts wrote:This is wicked cool. Great design, I love it! I want to build something this cool!
Thanks! It is working out really well so far.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

ooper01
Head Moderator

Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:12 pm

AntsRule wrote:If you do not mind me asking, What is the measurement between the two panes of glass? Also where did you learn to build this? :D
Distance between panes is a half inch. Just learning as I go along :) I have built a couple others smaller than this one before, but wanted to go big for this colony. It seems to be working out great so far. The hydration system was the key addition on this one and it has been great. There is no water at all in the outworlds and none added from the top of the formicarium. The only water added goes in the bottom and keeps the lower portion of the nest moist. This is all they have needed.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

AntsRule

Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:50 pm

ooper01 wrote:
AntsRule wrote:If you do not mind me asking, What is the measurement between the two panes of glass? Also where did you learn to build this? :D
Distance between panes is a half inch. Just learning as I go along :) I have built a couple others smaller than this one before, but wanted to go big for this colony. It seems to be working out great so far. The hydration system was the key addition on this one and it has been great. There is no water at all in the outworlds and none added from the top of the formicarium. The only water added goes in the bottom and keeps the lower portion of the nest moist. This is all they have needed.
Thanks! I will be trying this! :D

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:58 pm

AntsRule wrote:
ooper01 wrote:
Thanks! I will be trying this! :D
You may have already watched this one, but I go through a bit of the build process for this formicarium here:
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

AntsRule

Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:09 pm

I will be doing this on a much smaller scale. The build will still be the same though. Thanks! :D

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.