Lasius Niger Pleometrosis

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

Rovvov99

Lasius Niger Pleometrosis

Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:02 am

I am planning on trying pleometrosis for a while now and I didn't have a Lasius Niger colony, so I'm glad that it can be done with this specie :). Yesterday where massive nuptial flights of Lasius Niger in Holland,and I of course caught a few queens. I first put them individually in test tubes to later put them together in a big testtube. But the queens though otherwise, they where very panicky and wouldn't go in the big test tube. I then did them in the fridge to literally cool down, once they where "chilled out" I had an easier time putting them in the testtube. The battle for dominance starting directly, I started with 6 queens and there is one dead already, I think bitten to death by here fellow queens. If the whole pleometrosis thing fails, I have a backup queen so that this blog doesn't run dry on content when they start to slaughter each other or something. I'm planning on checking on the queens a little more often than I would normally do, like once or twice per week.

Here are some pictures:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Re: Lasius Niger Pleometrosis

Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:04 am

Rovvov99 wrote:I am planning on trying pleometrosis for a while now and I didn't have a Lasius Niger colony, so I'm glad that it can be done with this specie :). Yesterday where massive nuptial flights of Lasius Niger in Holland,and I of course caught a few queens. I first put them individually in test tubes to later put them together in a big testtube. But the queens though otherwise, they where very panicky and wouldn't go in the big test tube. I then did them in the fridge to literally cool down, once they where "chilled out" I had an easier time putting them in the testtube. The battle for dominance starting directly, I started with 6 queens and there is one dead already, I think bitten to death by here fellow queens. If the whole pleometrosis thing fails, I have a backup queen so that this blog doesn't run dry on content when they start to slaughter each other or something. I'm planning on checking on the queens a little more often than I would normally do, like once or twice per week.

Here are some pictures:
Interesting journal. I fear these queen ants will harm each other when the first set of workers arrive. This is what usually happens with pleometrotic queens and one queen is left standing but often badly injured. Keep updating us on this experiment. :)
Ant Love Forever.

Rovvov99

Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:13 pm

Yes, it is inevitable to lose queens with pleometrosis. I wanted to try it mainly because there is not a lot of information about it and because the extra workers give a "headstart".

Vegetable

Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:48 pm

Another follower here! Good luck. :)

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:31 pm

By the way, guys if any of you really like a blog or journal or thread anywhere on this forum, there is a subscribe button which will notify you everytime there is a post. Feel free to sub to your favourite threads on this forum.
Ant Love Forever.

Rovvov99

Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:32 am

Good news: the queens have laid eggs ! When I checked today I saw that they've laid 20+ eggs and they moved the dead queen to the cotton plug, so that I could remove her from the testtube. I also checked on the backup queen and she hasn't laid eggs, I hope she isn't infertile.
Now I have the conformation that there are eggs I will give them some more rest.

Pictures:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rovvov99

Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:55 am

More good news: The backup queen has laid eggs to ! There is something very weird though, the queen is really fysogastric what I can't explain because she hasn't eaten anything. My best guess is that she has broken down her muscle tissue which she used to power her wings with. Anyway,the next update will be when the first workers enclose or when something other noteworthy thing happens.

Rovvov99

Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:59 am

I looked yesterday, and finally the first workers enclosed !! They where very light colored, almost transparent. There was no aggression yet, but that will probably come when there are some more workers. I gave them a miniscule drop of honey so they can regain some strength.

Later today there will be some pictures.

Rovvov99

Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:10 am

I have put them into hibernation last week.

See you in March !

WillWithAnts

Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:25 am

How has it gone? Have you woken them yet?