My journey keeping a Camponotus Pennsylvanicus Colony

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

CANant

Re: My journey keeping a Camponotus Pennsylvanicus Colony

Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:21 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:51 pm
CANant wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:38 pm
Quick update on my colony. My 10th nanitic enclosed yesterday! So glad I didn’t cook them all. I have another ready to enclose. Mmm guessing in the next 2-3 days. It’s the largest pupae yet! Excited to see how big she will be. I’ll post more in the next few days. Plus I’ll share some of my new purchases (sadly not new ants so don’t get to excited!
I'm guessing your colony will no longer produce nanitics, but regular workers instead.
Yes I think you are right. 😊
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Temnothorax ambiguus/curvispinosus (Acorn ant)

Lasius Interjectus (Larger citronella ant) with host workers: L. Americanus

🐜❤️

sartwell90

Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:04 am

CANant wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:38 pm
Quick update on my colony. My 10th nanitic enclosed yesterday! So glad I didn’t cook them all. I have another ready to enclose. Mmm guessing in the next 2-3 days. It’s the largest pupae yet! Excited to see how big she will be. I’ll post more in the next few days. Plus I’ll share some of my new purchases (sadly not new ants so don’t get to excited!
So awesome! My Nova colony is already getting ready to chill for winter (heh). I'm wondering what time your colony is gonna wind down? The night time temperatures here are starting to get to diapause levels!
Check out my colonies! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDze5idJomnpRCpvd3QoAFA
Or, if you would rather read about them check here - https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?p=60680#p60680

CANant

Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:22 am

I think they are finishing with their pupae development and I will see them start after that. I have been using the heat cable again but they are not on it and I only turn it on for small periods and off at night. It seems to help and then I don’t worry as much.
Keeper of:

🐜❤️

CANant

Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:48 am

Sept 21 - That’s it!! The last pupae enclosed yesterday or today. That brings an end to the founding stage and brings the colony up to 12 workers! The remaining brood are larvae and eggs. Now the colony will be preparing for diapause (hibernation). They will fill their gasters as full as they can and the eggs will develop into larvae. Then they will go into diapause for the winter (3-5 months). The larvae won’t develop further until the spring.

See her next to the queen?! She’s almost double the size of the nanitics and half the size of the queen!

Keeper of:

🐜❤️

sartwell90

Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:58 am

CANant wrote:
Sept 21 - That’s it!! The last pupae enclosed yesterday or today. That brings an end to the founding stage and brings the colony up to 12 workers! The remaining brood are larvae and eggs. Now the colony will be preparing for diapause (hibernation). They will fill their gasters as full as they can and the eggs will develop into larvae. Then they will go into diapause for the winter (3-5 months). The larvae won’t develop further until the spring.

See her next to the queen?! She’s almost double the size of the nanitics and half the size of the queen!

Beautiful queen and ants, CANant! I love how polymorphic carpenter ants are!
If you think those size differences are neat, just wait til next year! Diapause might kill me from suspense. :P
Check out my colonies! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDze5idJomnpRCpvd3QoAFA
Or, if you would rather read about them check here - https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?p=60680#p60680

JustABitAntsy

Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:29 pm

CANant wrote:

wow that's amazing congrats!
New antkeeper in Virginia currently doesn’t have a colony plan to start next Spring :lol:
Join the Forelius Clan https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15975

ArizonanAnts

Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:06 pm

Hey CANant! That's super awesome that you have so many ants!! BTW another CC member following your progress! Really excited to hear your ants progress. :D :D
Keeper of

Nothing right now :cry:

CANant

Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:53 pm

Hey ArizonanAnts!
That’s great the more the merrier!

Hello JustABitAntsy!
Thank you! BTW I love your name!

Thank you for following everyone!

So looks like they’re not done like I thought...I now have 13 workers. It’s getting hard to count.
Most of the brood is not seen in this image but I’m still amazed how many there are.
I was able to fix the overheating issue a bit. I’m able to leave the heat cable on all day and I think they are loving it.

Keeper of:

🐜❤️

JustABitAntsy

Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:21 pm

CANant wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:53 pm
Hey ArizonanAnts!
That’s great the more the merrier!

Hello JustABitAntsy!
Thank you! BTW I love your name!

Thank you for following everyone!

So looks like they’re not done like I thought...I now have 13 workers. It’s getting hard to count.
Most of the brood is not seen in this image but I’m still amazed how many there are.
I was able to fix the overheating issue a bit. I’m able to leave the heat cable on all day and I think they are loving it.

Congrats can't wait to continue watching the colony grow from your posts :D
New antkeeper in Virginia currently doesn’t have a colony plan to start next Spring :lol:
Join the Forelius Clan https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15975

Shawnstevens2003

Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:06 pm

I'm just learning so please excuse this ignorant question but when will they be ready or when will you move them to a bigger setup?

Should they always start in a test tube setup?

Thank you for your help!