Strange ant behaviour sightings.

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

EdgarFromLatvia

Strange ant behaviour sightings.

Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:47 am

I just saw an ant nest going on nuptial flights. In one of the satelite nests, there were a lot of males, waiting to fly out. Later i came around the same nest and i saw a strange operation going on - i noticed an ant worker starting to pull backwards a male by his head. He was pulling him to the main nest. Then i noticed other workers doing the same thing. They were doing it, till there were no males in the satelite nest.
Why did they do that? The day got kindof moody, and, i think, it will rain soon. Maybe they felt the air pressure changing and were trying to get them to a safer place? The males were not too happy about that. Do ants repeal the nuptial flights, if they feel, that a rain is comming?

Solenopsisace

Re: Strange ant behaviour sightings.

Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:06 pm

I've seen this strange phenomenon to. I believe the males were in such a hurry to go get laid, but the workers knew that it was going to rain soon and they smell the pheromones of the other nests to put off the flight. I've also seen a bunch of males gather on and around the queen alates of the same nest. the workers were pulling the males off the queen alates,but they were pulling the male's back towards their nest instead of up the tree where they could take flight. It is something we will have to wait till someone does a social behavior study on I suppose?

EdgarFromLatvia

Re: Strange ant behaviour sightings.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:10 am

Solenopsisace wrote:I've seen this strange phenomenon to. I believe the males were in such a hurry to go get laid, but the workers knew that it was going to rain soon and they smell the pheromones of the other nests to put off the flight. I've also seen a bunch of males gather on and around the queen alates of the same nest. the workers were pulling the males off the queen alates,but they were pulling the male's back towards their nest instead of up the tree where they could take flight. It is something we will have to wait till someone does a social behavior study on I suppose?
Maybe... maybe i could take the honours? I have many nests around my house... even sometimes IN my house! :lol: