TinyAnt's Camponotus Castaneus Journal

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

Post Reply
TinyAnt
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:11 pm
Location: St. Louis

TinyAnt's Camponotus Castaneus Journal

Post: # 59303Post TinyAnt
Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:24 pm

Hello everyone, this is my first attempt at ant keeping and I'm excited to announce I managed to catch 4 C. Castaneus queens outside my work in St. Louis, MO on June 7th :D . I forgot to take pictures because I wanted to get then in their new homes as quickly as possible. The tubes I have them in are opaque so I can't get any clear pictures but in about a week I will have updates. I'm going to try and move them into clear test tubes so I can get a better view of them growing, but until then I'm going to leave them alone for a week as I've seen from others that this species is very timid and might eat it's babies :o . With any luck I'll have 3 extra queens for the GAN Project if anyone in St. Louis is interested. This is going to be an adventure and I'll be back on soon!
Life is beautiful, big or small.

Founding:
4 × Camponotus Castaneus
3 x Random Queens yet to be identified
1 x Colobopsis Impressa
1 x Aphaenogaster

TinyAnt
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:11 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: TinyAnt's Camponotus Castaneus Journal

Post: # 59463Post TinyAnt
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:22 pm

Hello fellow ant enthusiasts. I'm back after what seemed like a very long week with updates on my Camponotus Castaneus's. Let's take a look shall we.

Onto the first queen, I don't see any eggs and the queen still has her wings on. I've noticed this one looks a little smaller than the other queen's so it could be she hasn't mated. Hopefully she lays some eggs here soon or I'll have to let her go. One of the other queens also hasn't had any eggs either, but I'm going to keep them for a little while longer before releasing them back into the wild.

Now onto the good stuff. First looking at this tube I can see some tiny dots that look exactly like some eggs right next to the wing. :D Image

Upon further inspection she definitely has some eggs. SUCCESS!
Image
She stands guard over them like an attack hound. So cute.

Onto the last queen I have I can see even more eggs!
Image
You see those tiny dots next to her leg? TINY ANTS!

A closer look.
Image
The blue really contrasts the ant's color and the eggs very well.

To me this is a total success. I was only expecting 1 or even zero queens to have eggs, but 2 out of 4 is amazing. The first queen appeared to have 3 eggs and the second had about 4. With any luck the other queens will lay some eggs soon. Thanks for checking out my ants and thanks AntsCanada for all the incredibly helpful tips on Youtube. You inspired me to be an ant keeper and hopefully I can inspire some people too. Thanks and good luck with your Anting.
Life is beautiful, big or small.

Founding:
4 × Camponotus Castaneus
3 x Random Queens yet to be identified
1 x Colobopsis Impressa
1 x Aphaenogaster

TinyAnt
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:11 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: TinyAnt's Camponotus Castaneus Journal

Post: # 59670Post TinyAnt
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:39 pm

Hello everyone and welcome back to week 2 of my Camponotus Castaneus journal.

Let's jump right in.

Image
My third queen to lay eggs. I was going to get an inside view, but she started freaking out so I left her alone

This one had more eggs. :D
Image
Crazy how many eggs this species can lay, figured most Camponotus take awhile to lay eggs.

Finally the last queen, she had even more eggs than the last!
Image
AMAZING!

Well I'll check back in with you guys once they turn into larvae. TinyAnt out.
Life is beautiful, big or small.

Founding:
4 × Camponotus Castaneus
3 x Random Queens yet to be identified
1 x Colobopsis Impressa
1 x Aphaenogaster

sartwell90
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:46 pm
Location: South East Michigan

Re: TinyAnt's Camponotus Castaneus Journal

Post: # 60606Post sartwell90
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:20 pm

Hey TinyAnt, your queens and pictures look so beautiful! I am going to keep an eye on your colonies and their progress! :D
Check out my colonies! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDze5idJomnpRCpvd3QoAFA
Or, if you would rather read about them check here - https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?p=60680#p60680

Hawkeye
Posts: 1470
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:38 pm
Location: Almelo

Re: TinyAnt's Camponotus Castaneus Journal

Post: # 60627Post Hawkeye
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:28 pm

TinyAnt wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:39 pm
Hello everyone and welcome back to week 2 of my Camponotus Castaneus journal.

Let's jump right in.

Image
My third queen to lay eggs. I was going to get an inside view, but she started freaking out so I left her alone

This one had more eggs. :D
Image
Crazy how many eggs this species can lay, figured most Camponotus take awhile to lay eggs.

Finally the last queen, she had even more eggs than the last!
Image
AMAZING!

Well I'll check back in with you guys once they turn into larvae. TinyAnt out.
Awesome pictures! You must have a decent macro lens?

TinyAnt
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:11 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: TinyAnt's Camponotus Castaneus Journal

Post: # 61000Post TinyAnt
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:47 pm

I have a Canon powershot sx530 I set to macro and take like 20 pictures until I get that perfect shot. It's still a pretty decent camera for being like 6 years old
Life is beautiful, big or small.

Founding:
4 × Camponotus Castaneus
3 x Random Queens yet to be identified
1 x Colobopsis Impressa
1 x Aphaenogaster

Hawkeye
Posts: 1470
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:38 pm
Location: Almelo

Re: TinyAnt's Camponotus Castaneus Journal

Post: # 61001Post Hawkeye
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:06 pm

TinyAnt wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:47 pm
I have a Canon powershot sx530 I set to macro and take like 20 pictures until I get that perfect shot. It's still a pretty decent camera for being like 6 years old
* Jealously drooling...

By the way, you might enjoy our little band of Camponotus keepers to exchange experiences with. Check the 2nd link in my signature.

TinyAnt
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:11 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: TinyAnt's Camponotus Castaneus Journal

Post: # 61468Post TinyAnt
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:59 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:06 pm
TinyAnt wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:47 pm
I have a Canon powershot sx530 I set to macro and take like 20 pictures until I get that perfect shot. It's still a pretty decent camera for being like 6 years old
* Jealously drooling...

By the way, you might enjoy our little band of Camponotus keepers to exchange experiences with. Check the 2nd link in my signature.
I'll check it out I'm about to post some new pics as the eggs have just started turning into larvae. I've also managed to catch more queens, I'll have to make a new post for them.
Life is beautiful, big or small.

Founding:
4 × Camponotus Castaneus
3 x Random Queens yet to be identified
1 x Colobopsis Impressa
1 x Aphaenogaster

sartwell90
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:46 pm
Location: South East Michigan

Re: TinyAnt's Camponotus Castaneus Journal

Post: # 61751Post sartwell90
Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:31 pm

TinyAnt wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:59 am
Hawkeye wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:06 pm
TinyAnt wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:47 pm
I have a Canon powershot sx530 I set to macro and take like 20 pictures until I get that perfect shot. It's still a pretty decent camera for being like 6 years old
* Jealously drooling...

By the way, you might enjoy our little band of Camponotus keepers to exchange experiences with. Check the 2nd link in my signature.
I'll check it out I'm about to post some new pics as the eggs have just started turning into larvae. I've also managed to catch more queens, I'll have to make a new post for them.
Looking forward to your larvae update! I'll also keep an eye out for your new posts, hope you and all your ants are doing well!
Check out my colonies! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDze5idJomnpRCpvd3QoAFA
Or, if you would rather read about them check here - https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?p=60680#p60680

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests