First Brachymyrmex colony

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

nightxwolf88

Re: First Brachymyrmex colony

Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:46 pm

It is a more strict forum and he enforces them pretty strongly. If they want a more controlled forum I respect it. There are a lot of knowledgeable ppl that use that site and want to not have to keep telling ppl the correct way to ask for an identification which I can understand I guess, but I also see how it can deter new budding ant lovers.

Aaron567

Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:57 pm

August 24, 2016

Now there are a lot of pupae. Probably around 20! I am expecting some of them to start hatching very soon! These past couple weeks have been exciting for me, since my Crematogaster queen and my Pheidole obscurithorax queen have both gotten their nantics, and now this B. patagonicus group is going to have theirs!

I focused the camera on the pupae, that's why the queens are blurry

MCWren

Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:09 pm

nightxwolf88 wrote:It is a more strict forum and he enforces them pretty strongly. If they want a more controlled forum I respect it. There are a lot of knowledgeable ppl that use that site and want to not have to keep telling ppl the correct way to ask for an identification which I can understand I guess, but I also see how it can deter new budding ant lovers.
"ppl?" Please use spell check and proper grammar. :D :) ;)

AnthonyP163

Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:34 pm

MCWren wrote:
nightxwolf88 wrote:It is a more strict forum and he enforces them pretty strongly. If they want a more controlled forum I respect it. There are a lot of knowledgeable ppl that use that site and want to not have to keep telling ppl the correct way to ask for an identification which I can understand I guess, but I also see how it can deter new budding ant lovers.
"ppl?" Please use spell check and proper grammar. :D :) ;)
Lol

Aaron567

Nantics!

Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:05 pm

This group of queens has nantics now! I believe there are 2 of them, both newly eclosed so they aren't black yet. It took me a moment to see them because they were creeping around, hiding under the pupae and everything. And they are very tiny. These ants took a while to develop in their pupae, I think about a week longer than any of my other ants. As you may be able to tell, their are many more workers on the way. There are TONS of pupae!
You can also see the light queen in the 3rd picture.

RainbowScience

Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:10 pm

How's the colony coming along?

MichiganAnts

Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:11 pm

keep updating this!

Martialis

Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:04 am

Aaron567 wrote:Today (7-11-16), I found three Brachymyrmex queens in my pool. They are the smallest queens I have ever caught! I haven't done much research on Brachymyrmex, but all I know is that they are Polygynous and the workers are extremely tiny, black, and love sugary things. Regular people just call them sugar ants around where I live, since they are the most common sugar-loving ant in my area. I have test-tubed the queens together. I will add updates when things start happening, like if I get even more queens to add to the test tube or if they start laying eggs. I bet the eggs will be tiny!
You say they are the tiniest queens ever, eh? They absolutely dwarf my Ponera queen!
Keeper of

Selliing:

Aaron567

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:16 am

Martialis wrote:
Aaron567 wrote:Today (7-11-16), I found three Brachymyrmex queens in my pool. They are the smallest queens I have ever caught! I haven't done much research on Brachymyrmex, but all I know is that they are Polygynous and the workers are extremely tiny, black, and love sugary things. Regular people just call them sugar ants around where I live, since they are the most common sugar-loving ant in my area. I have test-tubed the queens together. I will add updates when things start happening, like if I get even more queens to add to the test tube or if they start laying eggs. I bet the eggs will be tiny!
You say they are the tiniest queens ever, eh? They absolutely dwarf my Ponera queen!
Now I have a Pheidole moerens queen that is 3mm.

Martialis

Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:18 am

Aaron567 wrote:
Martialis wrote:
Now I have a Pheidole moerens queen that is 3mm.
Cool.
Keeper of

Selliing: