Journey of my Trap Jaw Ant Colony

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

BigBlueBlur

Journey of my Trap Jaw Ant Colony

Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:18 pm

Hello, This is my first legitimate try at keeping an ant colony and this is my journey.
It started out at this forum post (https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=11563) if you want to see from the beginning.

It has now been almost 2 months since I started taking care of her and now she has brood and at least 2 worker ants with a total of 3 ants including herself.

I will try and update weekly and if not bi-weekly depending on if anything interesting has happened.
It will be awesome to be able to share with some fellow ant keeping enthusiasts as I take care of these awesome ants!

BigBlueBlur

Re: Journey of my Trap Jaw Ant Colony

Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:37 pm

We now have 4 workers!!!
The colony has been growing really fast and I'm really happy about that. They have also started digging tunnels in the sand underneath the piece of bark beside the wall, you can see the pile to the right of the bark. It's probably because they were running out of room in the test tube.
I'm planning on changing the soil to more of a dirt/clay type soil so that I don't have to worry about their tunnels collapsing if the soil gets too dry.

Aguywithants

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:41 am

Is there a chunk of wood in the dirt?

BigBlueBlur

Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:54 pm

Aguywithants wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:41 am
Is there a chunk of wood in the dirt?
No, it’s a piece of bark on top of the sand.