Ltislanders Pheidole Pilifera Journal

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

Ltislander

Ltislanders Pheidole Pilifera Journal

Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:22 pm

Hello everyone! I caught what I thought was a teteramorium immagrans colony in July. But 6 weeks later when workers came along it was discovered they were Pheidole Pilifera! They have 5 workers and many, many larvae. They also have a major larvae. I’m going to post a few pictures soon!

Ltislander

Re: Ltislanders Pheidole Pilifera Journal

Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:50 pm

Right now one worker is feasting on a peanut! She really likes it!

AntsDakota

Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:51 pm

Ltislander wrote:
Hello everyone! I caught what I thought was a teteramorium immagrans colony in July. But 6 weeks later when workers came along it was discovered they were Pheidole Pilifera! They have 5 workers and many, many larvae. They also have a major larvae. I’m going to post a few pictures soon!
Pheidole pilifera workers are only 1-2 mm in length. Majors are 3 mm and queens are 5. I think your ants are larger than that.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

Ltislander

Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:07 pm

AntsDakota wrote:
Ltislander wrote:
Pheidole pilifera workers are only 1-2 mm in length. Majors are 3 mm and queens are 5. I think your ants are larger than that.
Yes my workers and queen are larger than that. On the discord server Arthropod Antics 3 people said wothought a doubt Pilifera. I told them the size and they still said Pilifera.

AntsDakota

Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:57 am

Ltislander wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:07 pm
AntsDakota wrote:
Ltislander wrote:
Yes my workers and queen are larger than that. On the discord server Arthropod Antics 3 people said wothought a doubt Pilifera. I told them the size and they still said Pilifera.
Perhaps pilifera has size variants?
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25