Devyls' Growing Ant Project (Atta Texana)

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

Devyls

Devyls' Growing Ant Project (Atta Texana)

Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:22 am

Greetings,

First I want to say, darn you AntsCanada. Last time I surf the wretches of Youtube while trying to sleep. Now I'm here? You guys have serious movie making skills.

Secondly, due to my regional restrictions and preferences, I have concocted a plan... to house some Atta Texana next summer. I pondered my options, whether or not I wanted to buy an AntsCanada starter pack. Still might for some backup reasons. The option I decided on was to construct a customized table designed to allow an out-world complete with a natural dirt layer for the formicarium inside the table with sliding viewing sections. Seems insane to me for a first time ant keeper, but I want to make a beautiful home for my future Atta Texana queen(s) and give them room to natural make their own chambers. I'll be slowly updating this project as I go over the next six months or so.

Still, I have questions, many of which AntsCanada's endless videos have answered, but more always remain.

1. I know that Atta Texana are leaf-cutter ants that raise their own fungus gardens. Are any types of leafs okay? Any I should avoid in the central Texas area that could be poisonous to them?

2. Do I use the test tube setup when I capture my future queen(s)? How would I get her to move the fungus to a new environment once I need her to move?

3. I need to have a definitive answer on the nuptial flight times? I have conflicting reports of May-July and July-October.

4. Because I am planning to do a more natural environment with dirt, should I plant some flora in there for them? Or would they just.. eat.. it.. all..?

Well I think that's my introduction to my journal! Hopefully they don't perish in my novice hands!
Searching for:
Atta texana
Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Proud Keeper of:
None so far! T_T

Devyls

Re: Devyls' Growing Ant Project (Atta Texana)

Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:48 am

So a quick update, due to me being told they have nuptial flights in September and October.

Did a quick scout around the area, I have a small forested area near with some trees. Did not see a lot of ants sadly. Saw a few fire ant hills from what it looks like, but no free-roamers. This leaves me to conclude that most of the ants near here are in hibernation. Did however find two things that I find hopeful.

The first being a partially eaten / cut leaf. I assume a baby butterfly but hopefully some Atta Texana or other leaf-cutters.

The second being this odd fungus, which has small bits of leaf in it I think from growing inside, and I definitely find to be the more interesting.

Well that's my update for now!?
Searching for:
Atta texana
Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Proud Keeper of:
None so far! T_T

antnest8

Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:11 am

hi just to answer some of your questions.
Devyls wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:22 am
1. I know that Atta Texana are leaf-cutter ants that raise their own fungus gardens. Are any types of leafs okay? Any I should avoid in the central Texas area that could be poisonous to them?

2. Do I use the test tube setup when I capture my future queen(s)? How would I get her to move the fungus to a new environment once I need her to move?

3. I need to have a definitive answer on the nuptial flight times? I have conflicting reports of May-July and July-October.

4. Because I am planning to do a more natural environment with dirt, should I plant some flora in there for them? Or would they just.. eat.. it.. all..?

Well I think that's my introduction to my journal! Hopefully they don't perish in my novice hands!
1 have heard each species has their own preference of leaves. this can range from a normal leaf to rose pedals.

2 yes test tubes are used still

3 i have no idea (i live in Michigan how should i know)

4 i think this would depend on the type of plants and the sp of ant.

also i hove all this info from formiculture another ant keeping website. just check the journal section for the dpsdrew's journals (dpsdrew is the forum admin). he knows a lot and keeps these ants in enormous detail.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

NikkaTrunks13

Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:08 pm

Did you have any luck?