Bean Family Ant Journal

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderators: larynx, ooper01

russbean

Beatrice (Formica) - Week 25

Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:18 pm

Nothing has change with Beatrice over the last few weeks. She and her crew are in a byFormica Growtube for those who have been curious.

Ant Keeping Newbie and Son

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Re: Bean Family Ant Journal

Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:33 am

Truly loving this thread. I have some back reading to do, but journals like this are super valuable to the ant community. Thank you for taking the time to take us through your journey! 8-)
Ant Love Forever.

russbean

Cindy (Formica) - Week 25

Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:35 pm

Here is Cindy and crew; they are in a 3D printed formicarium I pulled from Thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:409319. It was one of Terry's earlier designs. I had visions of placing it on my desk at work, so I could watch the ants when I needed a mental break. Once I moved Cindy and family into the formicarium, I couldn't bear stressing them that way--busy environment, noise, vibrations, and florescent lighting. So it has stayed home where I can keep them comfy and protected. It's a nice little design, but I fear that the ventilation is not adequate.

russbean

Re: Bean Family Ant Journal

Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:40 pm

AntsCanada wrote:Truly loving this thread. I have some back reading to do, but journals like this are super valuable to the ant community. Thank you for taking the time to take us through your journey! 8-)
Thanks for checking back in with the thread and throwing some kudos my way. I can only say you are welcome, and thank you, sir, for providing a place for journals like this to exist, for providing excellent content/services for budding ant enthusiasts, and (most importantly) for fostering an environment where even a newbie like myself can feel comfortable sharing his/her experiences.

-Russ

russbean

Dani (Lacius) - Week 21

Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:39 pm

My son's favorite queen is Dani, and I'm so glad she has been doing well since he found her. It's pretty difficult to get a decent shot through the test tube, but this is what I was able to capture this week. She has been in this test tube since finding her 21 weeks ago. Other than a couple drops of honey, she has been completely maintenance free.

russbean

Emily (Lacius) - Week 21

Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:54 pm

Here is Emily in her hibernating state. I think she is looking darker in color than a few weeks ago.

russbean

Beatrice (Formica) - Week 31

Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:00 pm

When I caught Beatrice 31 weeks ago, my son and I had no idea that we'd be taking care of her and her tiny brood all these weeks later. Granted, it's pretty easy to take care of hibernating ants. Still, capturing a queen in the wild brings with it certain responsibilities that aren't fully realized until things have had a chance to play out over the months. I'm glad she is with us, and I can't wait to see what happens in her next phase of life.

russbean

Cindy (Formica) - Week 32

Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:24 pm

Cindy was being very shy today when I checked up on her. She proved to be quite difficult to photograph. Everyone seems to be healthy.

russbean

Dani (Lacius) - Week 30

Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:45 am

I'm seeing more activity from the Formica ants this week, as March approaches. But Dani and Emily are still pretty sluggish. Here are some updated shots of Dani. It's been quite a while since I've checked in with her other than a few quick peeks now and then. She and her brood seem to be doing just fine.

russbean

Emily (Lacius) - Week 29

Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:25 pm

New developments with Emily this week. She's now caring for a single pupa. Finding that Emily had a pupa was a complete surprise to me. When I looked in on her last week, I didn't see any evidence of eggs or larva; she must have hidden it from sight.