Andy's ant keeping experience (Tetramorium. .....)

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderators: larynx, ooper01

AndyGJorgensen

Andy's ant keeping experience (Tetramorium. .....)

Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:48 pm

I will be keeping track of my progress of all my ant keeping I currently have 13 queen tetramorium ants. I expect many are not fertile some still have wings and such. If I catch another species I will record progress here pics and videos will come.

Day 0
observed nuptial flights for tetramorium near my house on June 19 at 6 am to 8 am but no queen's found

Day 1 - 3
Caught 13 queen's over the last few days have put them in small snap top containers with tightly bound damp cotton ball on one side and a dry cotton ball on the other. Ordered test tubes for a better setup. Some eggs have started to show in the containers of 2 queen's caught on day 1.

Day 5
Containers are drying out quickly not extremely happy with having to water cotton everyday as it disturbs them to much tracking showing delivery of test tubes in a few days will need to move all queen's soon to a proper setup. Many eggs from 3 queen's.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: Andy's ant keeping experience (Tetramorium. .....)

Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:17 pm

As long as they are laying eggs thats a good thing. I caught around a hundred queens one day and got about 20 of them in test tubes that day. The rest I kept in a tupperware container that I cut out a 1/2" hole in the top and pushed cotton into for air and they sat there for a week while I was waiting on the 60 test tubes to be delivered.

After a week I placed the rest in test tubes and they have continued to lay eggs so I think you will be fine, just get them into their tubes as so as you can. I took and placed 2 large cotton balls in the center of that container and soaked it with water and that lasted the whole time.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

AndyGJorgensen

Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:37 am

Any advice on how to move the eggs or getting the queen to do it. Or should I just move them and abandon the eggs

AndyGJorgensen

Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:13 am

Finally got test tubes week they where here yesterday but I didn't relive they got delivered I didn't look since tracking showed a later day

Day 6 some eggs made the move some lost from transferring to a proproper test tube setup

AndyGJorgensen

Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:30 am