Winter ant

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

DavidT

Winter ant

Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:24 pm

I just got a winter ant queen I found her under a rock with about 12 workers and a whole bunch of males but I have had her for about four days and she still hasn't shed her wings and is tearing the cotton on the dry side apart so can someone tell me what's wrong please

idahoantgirl

Re: Winter ant

Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:06 pm

DavidT wrote:I just got a winter ant queen I found her under a rock with about 12 workers and a whole bunch of males but I have had her for about four days and she still hasn't shed her wings and is tearing the cotton on the dry side apart so can someone tell me what's wrong please
Hi DavidT,
If you found a queen with wings under a rock with males and workers, than she is not mated. She was with her "birth family" and was probably getting ready to have her nuptial flight. That is why she is pulling at the cotton to get out. Sorry about this.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

DavidT

Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:14 pm

Thankyou

NikolaMladenovic

Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:45 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
DavidT wrote:I just got a winter ant queen I found her under a rock with about 12 workers and a whole bunch of males but I have had her for about four days and she still hasn't shed her wings and is tearing the cotton on the dry side apart so can someone tell me what's wrong please
Hi DavidT,
If you found a queen with wings under a rock with males and workers, than she is not mated. She was with her "birth family" and was probably getting ready to have her nuptial flight. That is why she is pulling at the cotton to get out. Sorry about this.
Agree
I'm very ANThusiastic :lol: