Young Colony Emergancy!!!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

New2Ants

Young Colony Emergancy!!!

Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:59 pm

Hey guys! Springs here and so are the ants! I'm getting a great head start on solenopsis indictable queens!

Anyway, I recently moved my young phiedole colony into their new nest! However, some of the workers died off!!!
Now I'm left with a queen and only a few workers! :( I am trying to move the surviving colony back into a test tube, but they are very stubborn!!! Not even the queen will move! I've tried introducing light,heat, taking away the water source, but they wouldn't budge! I was afraid I would kill them so I put everything back. The queen did manage to lay a few eggs though. Does anyone have any recommendations! Do I need to give them any nutrients or food! If so, how (they're pretty much stuck in the back of the hybrid nest all day and are so hard to get to!)

I want to do what I can to help save my colony and get it back on track! Any help will be gladly appreciated!!! I can't thank you all enough!!! :D

WillWithAnts

Re: Young Colony Emergancy!!!

Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:12 pm

If they want to stay, let them stay. Don't freak them out. Be patient; they will either come around or they will not, the best thing to do is to care for them like normal. The queen is laying eggs so that is good! Hoping on a recovery :D!

New2Ants

Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:46 pm

Thank you so much! This is a real up bringer for my mood! Everything will continue on as normal just as u said! I'm just wondering, how about the food situation? Do I need to feed them, what can I feed them? Your comment was very helpful! Any other comments will also be gladly appreciated! :D thanks so much!!!

WillWithAnts

Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:37 am

How are they doing? What do you normally feed them? How often are you checking them?

NikolaMladenovic

Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:18 am

New2Ants wrote:Thank you so much! This is a real up bringer for my mood! Everything will continue on as normal just as u said! I'm just wondering, how about the food situation? Do I need to feed them, what can I feed them? Your comment was very helpful! Any other comments will also be gladly appreciated! :D thanks so much!!!
Well... If wild ants goes foraging when they are hungry then your ants will aswell so relax. If you put food in the outworld they will eventually find it and eat it. ;)
I'm very ANThusiastic :lol: