Queens that stop laying eggs

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

ooper01
Head Moderator

Queens that stop laying eggs

Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:38 pm

I've had a few Pogonomyrmex queens that have followed this pattern:

1. Placed in test tube setup and laid a clutch of eggs.
2. 3-5 workers eventually emerge.
3. Hibernation.
4. All workers die off at some point prior to coming out of hibernation.
5. Bring queen out of hibernation
6. Queen never lays any more eggs.

I have provided a variety of food and heat. Anything else I should try? Is it normal for this to happen with some queens?
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: Queens that stop laying eggs

Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:57 pm

If you have a few workers of the same species you may try putting them in with her and see if they make her want to lay eggs. I had two queens that wouldn't lay at all, then I had a queen die off in another test tube so I tried putting one of them in with the 10 workers and they accepted her and she started laying egg right away.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

ooper01
Head Moderator

Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:26 am

Will try that next time. Thanks!
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

jonathan21700

Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:07 am

Do you keep them in the dark and how often do you look at them?

ooper01
Head Moderator

Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:10 am

They sit on top of a desk with a sleeve covering the test tube, however, the test tube is connected to a Test Tube Portal which would allow some light to enter at the entrance. I probably check them once a week. I am guessing by your questions that you would suggest I place them completely in the dark and leave them alone for several weeks right ;)
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Mdrogun

Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:41 pm

ooper01 wrote:They sit on top of a desk with a sleeve covering the test tube, however, the test tube is connected to a Test Tube Portal which would allow some light to enter at the entrance. I probably check them once a week. I am guessing by your questions that you would suggest I place them completely in the dark and leave them alone for several weeks right ;)
Is it possible that you have any vibrations that could be disturbing these queens? I find that even yelling makes vibrations and can upset Pogonomyrmex. I keep Pogonomyrmex californicus and they hate vibrations even in the slightest amount.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:19 pm

Mdrogun wrote:Is it possible that you have any vibrations that could be disturbing these queens? I find that even yelling makes vibrations and can upset Pogonomyrmex. I keep Pogonomyrmex californicus and they hate vibrations even in the slightest amount.
Definitely lots of vibration potential around my house. Lots of kids, yelling, running, etc. With my next batch of Pogo queens this fall, I may try keeping them somewhere else. Thanks!
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Mdrogun

Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:58 pm

ooper01 wrote:
Mdrogun wrote:Is it possible that you have any vibrations that could be disturbing these queens? I find that even yelling makes vibrations and can upset Pogonomyrmex. I keep Pogonomyrmex californicus and they hate vibrations even in the slightest amount.
Definitely lots of vibration potential around my house. Lots of kids, yelling, running, etc. With my next batch of Pogo queens this fall, I may try keeping them somewhere else. Thanks!
No problem. I have watched pretty much all of your videos and I love the dirt formicarium you have for your Pogonomyrmex occidentalis colony.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:54 pm

Mdrogun wrote:No problem. I have watched pretty much all of your videos and I love the dirt formicarium you have for your Pogonomyrmex occidentalis colony.
Oh good. Glad you like it. I have another larger formicarium just about ready to give to them. I think they are outgrowing their current space as I see lots of ants just "resting" in the outworld. They probably need a larger and cleaner space to inhabit.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator