How much Watt

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

NikolaMladenovic

How much Watt

Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:56 pm

Hi guys!. I will just jump straight to the point. I am going to get a heatingcable to my hybridnest and i wonder how mouch watt the heatingcable should have. Feel free to answer and share your experience with me.

Nikola.M
I'm very ANThusiastic :lol:

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: How much Watt

Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:10 pm

one of two ways of doing it:

#1 Get a mid range rated one and then also get a temperature control that it can plug into that way you can adjust the temp to what you want.

#2 Get a low rated one and then adjust the distance between the nest and the heating cable.

When I have my snakes and other Herps I always had my heating sources controlled by a temperature control device. I've had heating lamps, pads, and strips that have gone bad and over tempted and the thing that saved my pets was the temp control shut it down before it got to the point of hurting them.

Just some thoughts for ya, other prob will chime in with their thoughts also.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

NikolaMladenovic

Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:22 am

MadVampy wrote:one of two ways of doing it:

#1 Get a mid range rated one and then also get a temperature control that it can plug into that way you can adjust the temp to what you want.

#2 Get a low rated one and then adjust the distance between the nest and the heating cable.

When I have my snakes and other Herps I always had my heating sources controlled by a temperature control device. I've had heating lamps, pads, and strips that have gone bad and over tempted and the thing that saved my pets was the temp control shut it down before it got to the point of hurting them.

Just some thoughts for ya, other prob will chime in with their thoughts also.
Thanks man, must have been taking a long time writing that

ooper01
Head Moderator

Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:04 pm

Ditto what MadVampy suggested. I got the lowest wattage I could find (15 watt).
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

NikolaMladenovic

Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:51 pm

ooper01 wrote:Ditto what MadVampy suggested. I got the lowest wattage I could find (15 watt).
And that worked?

ooper01
Head Moderator

Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:43 pm

Yes it worked. It created a temperature gradient in my Hybrid nest so the portion of the nest near the heat source was warmer than other areas. The ants would position the larvae up against the wall where the heat cable was.

Now I don't know if a higher wattage would have been better or not, since I only tried out this low wattage one, but I didn't want to risk overheating them.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

NikolaMladenovic

Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:51 pm

ooper01 wrote:Yes it worked. It created a temperature gradient in my Hybrid nest so the portion of the nest near the heat source was warmer than other areas. The ants would position the larvae up against the wall where the heat cable was.

Now I don't know if a higher wattage would have been better or not, since I only tried out this low wattage one, but I didn't want to risk overheating them.
Ok, thanks for the information! I't has a high value to me :mrgreen: