Camponotus Trouble

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

QueenAnt

Camponotus Trouble

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:48 pm

Hello it is me again! Well as I asked last time about the test tube issue it has been resolved...But she has refused to move. I counted that she had laid 5 eggs. After connecting her test tube with a clean one I put her back in a dark place. To my horror I have seen only 2 eggs that she is tending to at the moment. The other three I couldn't find...Is she eating them? If so does that mean this future colony will not be one at all? I am so nervous and have such high hopes..She is the first queen I have managed to catch and there are no Ant CAN Farmers close enough to meet in person and buy a colony from...Please I need help and answers.
A Queen In Search of Queens

idahoantgirl

Re: Camponotus Trouble

Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:13 pm

QueenAnt wrote:
Hello it is me again! Well as I asked last time about the test tube issue it has been resolved...But she has refused to move. I counted that she had laid 5 eggs. After connecting her test tube with a clean one I put her back in a dark place. To my horror I have seen only 2 eggs that she is tending to at the moment. The other three I couldn't find...Is she eating them? If so does that mean this future colony will not be one at all? I am so nervous and have such high hopes..She is the first queen I have managed to catch and there are no Ant CAN Farmers close enough to meet in person and buy a colony from...Please I need help and answers.
It could just be that the other eggs are on the cotton and you can't see them.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

QueenAnt

Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:44 pm

Well part of me hopes that if that is the case it isn't on the cotton in the dirty tube. However it seemed she was never a fan of the cotton. Most times she would have them on the floor of the tub or sides. Just really hoping that maybe she just was hiding them. I checked again now since I am back from work and still only see two eggs there in the usual spot.

AntsIkhlef

Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:31 pm

QueenAnt wrote:
sometimes it will help a little to feed her a little drop of honey on a paper, this can prevent her frrom eating her eggs
Beginner here!
I am new to this and I have just founded my first colonies! :geek:

Keeper of:

2x Lasius niger
1x Lasius neglectus/i]

🐜❤️4ever

QueenAnt

Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:56 pm

I thought that you don't feed queen during this stage till the first workers emerge...

AntsIkhlef

Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:31 am

QueenAnt wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:56 pm
I thought that you don't feed queen during this stage till the first workers emerge...
if she isn't semi-claustural.

i tried it and it has worked since.
Beginner here!
I am new to this and I have just founded my first colonies! :geek:

Keeper of:

2x Lasius niger
1x Lasius neglectus/i]

🐜❤️4ever

idahoantgirl

Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:36 pm

For camponotus, you do not need to feed them, and doing so will stress her out more. Camponotus are extremely susceptible to stress, so really the very best thing you cal do for her is to not even check on her for a month. She is not eating her eggs out of hunger, only stress.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile