Colony Not Growing

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Cartil

Colony Not Growing

Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:43 pm

Hello guys!

I have a colony of Camponotus Noveboracensis with about 80 workers. However, for the past 3 weeks now, I have noticed that the queen kept laying eggs (maybe a hundred) but the colony has no larvae or pupae, just eggs. And they do not seem to be developing. In general, I would have said that the queen was unfertilized, but in this case, she gave birth to about 80 workers so I am confused.

I am worried that this could mean the end of the colony in a few months. :cry:

I feed them crickets, different sorts of worms, honey, and fruits once in a while. Could they be lacking something to grow the eggs? One other thing I noticed is that almost all of the workers have full gasters (probably of honey), and I wonder if that means that they do not have the space to bring back some of the proteins for the larvae.

Have you guys ever seen this?

TheRealAntMan

Re: Colony Not Growing

Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:06 pm

What’s the temperature of the room that they are kept in? Now that they are now 80 workers strong feed them a whole (pre killed of course) cricket. And don’t worry about full gasters, all the excess nutrition is safe inside ;) .
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

Cartil

Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:16 pm

The room temperature oscillates between 25 c (77 f) and 27 c (81 f). I alternate the food between 2 crickets every other day and then one worm. I also make sure they always have honey. They do drink the honey but I have noticed that their enthusiasm for the crickets has lowered.

AntsLuxembourg

Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:47 am

perhaps get some other insects like cockroaches or meal/superworms
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

TheRealAntMan

Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:28 am

Cartil wrote:
The room temperature oscillates between 25 c (77 f) and 27 c (81 f). I alternate the food between 2 crickets every other day and then one worm. I also make sure they always have honey. They do drink the honey but I have noticed that their enthusiasm for the crickets has lowered.
If they don’t like crickets then stop feeding them to your ants, instead replace them with fruit flies and see if they like those ( 99% sure they will like those instead).

AntsLuxembourg

Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:35 am

TheRealAntMan wrote:
Cartil wrote:
If they don’t like crickets then stop feeding them to your ants, instead replace them with fruit flies and see if they like those ( 99% sure they will like those instead).
They always go for new stuff so I think they will love it for the beginning. :D
Btw you could also just try a dead fly, like freshly caught and then feed to the ants.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

TheRealAntMan

Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:56 pm

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
TheRealAntMan wrote:
Cartil wrote:
Btw you could also just try a dead fly, like freshly caught and then feed to the ants.
What kind of fly? Houseflies are relatively dirty and tend to carry pesticides, which can be fatal and not recommended for your ants.

Cartil

Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:57 pm

My concern is that they do not eat proteins because there are no longer any larvae to feed rather than there is no larvae to feed because of a lack of food. In other words, I am just afraid that there is something wrong with the eggs rather than the food.

But I am willing to try anything, so I will try fruit flies for now and hope for the best!

AntsLuxembourg

Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:30 am

TheRealAntMan wrote:
AntsLuxembourg wrote:
TheRealAntMan wrote:

What kind of fly? Houseflies are relatively dirty and tend to carry pesticides, which can be fatal and not recommended for your ants.
You know that ants in the wild do eat those themself if they find a dead fly. But you can also put them into a freezer to kill of most harmful things.

idahoantgirl

Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:45 am

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:30 am
TheRealAntMan wrote:
AntsLuxembourg wrote:

You know that ants in the wild do eat those themself if they find a dead fly. But you can also put them into a freezer to kill of most harmful things.
Yes, and also, most ant colonies end up dying prematurely. Only the luckiest survive. Freezers aren't going to kill pesticides.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile