Camponotus queen acting weird

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Belkar

Camponotus queen acting weird

Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:16 am

I have 2 Camponotus saxatilis queens I caught last month in their test tubes. I wasn't checking on them for like 20 days, got them out few days ago and both layed some eggs and I decided to feed them, so I gave them tiny bit of sweet water. They drank it all fine. Also, one queen had a red mite in her test tube, that run away into cotton after I got test tube out of locker for the first time. She also had kinda twitchy front legs. Yesterday I put a tiny drop of honey to feed her, she ate it all. Honey should be okay, cuz I feed my tetramorium ants with exactly this honey for a year, got it from relatives, it's mostly liquid but some of it crystallized. Today I woke up to see insides of her test tube looking all sticky and she was moving like she had no traction with surface. I moved her into new clean test tube, also put her eggs there as carefully as possible and now she is laying on her back, moving legs erratically. What's happening with her? Is she dying? How can I save her?

Belkar

Re: Camponotus queen acting weird

Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:41 am

Update: queen looks dead, but still moves, very barely tho. Second queen that I didn't give honey to started acting same way. Insides of her test tube look all sticky and she moves like she has no traction with surface, she falls on her back easily and has hard time getting up. Looks like the honey wasnt the reason, was it the sugary water I gave them like 4 days ago?

AntsLuxembourg

Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:38 am

What water did you use? And what brand of sugar did you use to mix the sugar water?
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony. After the research you can still go and fetsh a colony from one of your local GAN-Farmers.

Founding colonies:
10 - Lasius Niger Colony
1 - Messor Barbarus

Belkar

Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:01 am

I used boiled water and I don't know the brand of sugar. Second queen seems okay, not dying in agony as first did, except for no traction thing. Mostly sits on cotton. Afraid to move her to new test tube cuz first wasn't that much dying before I moved her. Test tube was clean, don't know what happened still. She also is still alive, but just barely and I don't think she'll live tho :c If she dies, is it okay to move her eggs to second queen, will she accept them?

PwnerPie

Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:42 am

Hmm. I had 1 camponotus have a similar issue. Maybe put some dirt in there with the others eggs and see what happens? At the very least she can get traction on the dirt. Nothing wrong with what you fed them, as long as it was organic honey (otherwise it will contain pesticides).
Keeper of:
2x Formica Sp
2x Camponotus Sp

Founding:
3x Lasius Sp
2x Formica Sp
1x Myrmica Sp
1x Tetramorium Sp

GAN Farmer: 3 Colonies sold
Goal: Supply school science classes with colonies for learning.

Belkar

Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:47 am

I don't know if honey was organic or not, but my Tetramorium caespitum ants were eating it just fine. Guess what's good for T. caespitum may as well be poison to other ants.

idahoantgirl

Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:37 am

Belkar wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:47 am
I don't know if honey was organic or not, but my Tetramorium caespitum ants were eating it just fine. Guess what's good for T. caespitum may as well be poison to other ants.
No, that should not be the case. If the sugar was fake, such as splenda, then that can kill them. Really, though, don't feed fully claustral queens. It causes stress and it simply is not needed. It may have coated her in stickiness and killed her. I've noticed that if an ant gets trapped in honey, they appear dead. Then if I take that ant out of the honey and put it in my hand and run a gentle stream of tap water over her to wash away the honey they revived 80 percent of the time. You might try this. It could just be she is being prevented from moving.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

AntsLuxembourg

Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:52 am

That is actually a very good idea. I mean sugar and honey can harder so the ants get stuck in that position because they have that sugary armor arround them and no other ant to clean then :C
It actually is a very interesting theory and I will try to make sure about my ants being claustral or not from now on.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony. After the research you can still go and fetsh a colony from one of your local GAN-Farmers.

Founding colonies:
10 - Lasius Niger Colony
1 - Messor Barbarus