Test Tube Problem

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

QueenAnt

Test Tube Problem

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:29 pm

So my black camponotus is doing well. She has laid about 5 to 7 eggs and though they haven't hatched she hasn't eaten them... However the water end of the test tube where the water is has dried up. Instead of cotton balls I had to think on the spot. But how would I add water or should I? Need some suggestions and help. Also maybe a good ant farm to buy from antcanada when the eggs hatch.. Any help is much loved!
A Queen In Search of Queens

SolarisVoltz

Re: Test Tube Problem

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:44 pm

QueenAnt wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:29 pm
So my black camponotus is doing well. She has laid about 5 to 7 eggs and though they haven't hatched she hasn't eaten them... However the water end of the test tube where the water is has dried up. Instead of cotton balls I had to think on the spot. But how would I add water or should I? Need some suggestions and help. Also maybe a good ant farm to buy from antcanada when the eggs hatch.. Any help is much loved!
Well I think you should move you ant into a new test tube but I am no expert. I hope this helped you. :D

dshawl

Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:09 am

I ended up using plastic syringes for my queens because that is all I had and my water dried up as well. I am wondering if the eggs/larvae/queen does end up getting wet trying to add water will it kill/hurt them?

decodiver

Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:48 am

I have the same problem.
Anyone has experiance with moving ants?

I don't want to stress the queens out too much...

Thanks

idahoantgirl

Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:36 am

Do not try to add water to old tubes. Instead, make a fresh tube and connect the opening of the new tube to the opening of the old tube with scotch tape. Use a pin to prick tiny air holes where the two tubes meet. ( make sure there isn't a spot where the ants will get stuck on the tape) They may just move to the more humid new tube on their own after a few hours, but if you are impatient, here are some things you can do:

1 cover the new tube so it is dark, and leave the old tube exposed to the light.
2 set the tube at a slanted incline, so that the new tube is lower in relation to the old tube. You can do this with a thick book.
3 shine a light on the old tube. Be careful with this one!! You can cook your colony if you are not careful.

Some things NOT to do:
1 do not Shake them out, use a tool, to move them out, or any other way of forcing them . They will move on their own if they need to, even if it takes a week. Don't rush. If they need to move, they will. They know what is best for themselves.

2 Don't add food in the new tube thinking they will be attracted to it.Ants do not want to live where they forage, and plus, your species of queen does not need to eat during her founding stage. It would only rot in her tube and stress her out.

As far as a formicarium goes, Ant's Canada's Camponotus Hybrid Nest would be a great option. It is specifically tailored to this species, and is a great deal.
https://www.AntsCanada.com/shop/new-camponotus-hybrid-nest-2-0-copy/

There is also the complete set up with this nest
https://www.AntsCanada.com/shop/all-you-need-camponotus-hybrid-gear-pack/

The Omni nest small or large can also work well for this species.
https://www.AntsCanada.com/shop/omni-nest-small/

Please note that your colony will be in its tube for a long time. Camponotus grow VERY slowly, and you should not move them out of their tube into a nest until they have at least 20 workers.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile