Ant diet

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Ryderw

Ant diet

Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:02 pm

Am i able to give the ants meat for example fish instead of having feeder insects
new keeper

Batspiderfish

Re: Ant diet

Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:10 pm

You should only give your colonies insects until they reach a large enough size to take their time with large food items.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Ryderw

Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:29 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:10 pm
You should only give your colonies insects until they reach a large enough size to take their time with large food items.
yes i know that but i would take fish cut it up into a size they can tolerate i just didn't know if they got something from insects that they wouldn't get from meat. So can they survive off of meat and sugar products or do they need insects to live.
new keeper

Batspiderfish

Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:49 am

Because insects have hemolymph which adults can actually consume. Meat for humans needs to be chewed up by teams of larvae in order to gain nutrition.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.