mated queen black ant

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

trexhunter34

mated queen black ant

Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:07 pm

i was on my allotment i found load of queen ants running around so i grabbed a big water bottle put some compost in then i pick one up and put her in. should i spray the compost with water when she is in it and how long it will take her to settle down and to make a nest

MorbidBugg

Re: mated queen black ant

Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:21 pm

Okay... let's address from most urgent to least.

1. Find a proper nesting area. Most will suggest a test tube but in a pinch those plastic flower holder pikes (the name escapes me now) which can be bought at any floral shop if test tubes are not available. Next fill at most a third with water grab a cotton ball and press it down into the water but not so much it's leaking all the way out but enough that the water soaks the whole ball. Next carefully shimmy the ant into the new made nest.and place a second cotton ball in the opening so it's nice and tight(yes it will still get air before you ask if it's too much) next get any sort of camera get as close to the tube as possible in as clear of focus as possible and take a few pictures. Take a measuring tape and try to get as accurate length (from butt to the tip of mouth) and add in where in the world you live. After we get her Identified we can help you further. But it is important to get her into something that won't contain mold such as compost as soon as possible. After all is said and done wrap the new nest in a towel and stick her some where dark, until further instructions can be given.
Ants are life's most successful invaders. Understand and respect that power.

trexhunter34

Re: mated queen black ant

Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:38 pm

i know its a Lasius niger queen also i put a pillow quilt over the bottle :mrgreen: