3 Queens in 1 Test Tube?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Jersey4ants

3 Queens in 1 Test Tube?

Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:18 pm

Hey guys,

I bought a tetramorium immigrans queen through the GAN project and the test tube came with 3 queens in it. There are a bunch of eggs in there. Everything I’ve watched from AntsCanada says I should not keep 3 queens together, are these different? Should I separate them or can they coexist? Who gets to stay in the tube with eggs if i do? Will those workers kill that queen if they aren’t hers? Sorry, tons of questions!

Thanks,
Seth

TheRealAntMan

Re: 3 Queens in 1 Test Tube?

Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:22 pm

Jersey4ants wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:18 pm
Hey guys,

I bought a tetramorium immigrans queen through the GAN project and the test tube came with 3 queens in it. There are a bunch of eggs in there. Everything I’ve watched from AntsCanada says I should not keep 3 queens together, are these different? Should I separate them or can they coexist? Who gets to stay in the tube with eggs if i do? Will those workers kill that queen if they aren’t hers? Sorry, tons of questions!

Thanks,
Seth
I would separate them because once the workers arrive the Queens will fight to the death. I’m not sure about who gets the eggs but the ones that don’t get the eggs give them a drop of sugar water so they can restart with energy.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

Batspiderfish

Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:24 pm

Tetramorium immigrans are monogynous.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Jersey4ants

Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:25 am

Thanks for the info! Going to separate them this morning. I’ll post an update on the 3 later on, paying attention to how the ones without the eggs do in comparison to how the one with the eggs does