Can you move a queen with eggs?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

SSTrunks

Can you move a queen with eggs?

Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:19 pm

I’m a beginner at this, but I caught a few solenopsis queens this season and placed them in test tube setups in hopes one or a few might lay eggs. I ordered my starter pack from AntsCanada shop for solenopsis ants and the test tubes they sent were much bigger and look a lot roomier for the ants and their first batch of brood. My question is can I and should I move my queen and her eggs to a bigger and better tube setup, or just leave her as is in the tube half as big? Next question is how would I move her out without disturbing the eggs. Please help! And thanks!

JustCliff

Re: Can you move a queen with eggs?

Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:27 pm

It's best not to disturb queens when they have brood, Solenopsis is fully claustral as well. The best thing you could do is wait for her first nanitics to help her but if it can't wait you could connect the two tubes and hope she moves by herself, or do this when her water runs out. It'll also give her a reason to want to move herself, the next least stressful scenario.

For the future, you can help move brood with barbecue skewers. The eggs and larva will likely stick to the wood and allow you to tap them off with a little precision. The ants will still accept any brood if they didn't move them, even most other ant's brood as well :lol:
(though they'd probably be eaten)

Test tubes can be tapped and most of the brood will usually fall right off.
Keeper of:
Temnothorax curvispinosus x2
Camponotus nearcticus
Brachymyrmex depilis
Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Founding:
Camponotus pennsylvanicus
Camponotus herculeanus