Combining fusca queens

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Macatak

Combining fusca queens

Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:37 am

Can I please get some advice on this subject please as I’ve found it very difficult to get a definitive answer through research. I have two fusca queens in test tube set ups and both have laid their first batch of eggs. I know these are a polygynous species and i only have space for one fornicarium so how do I go about introducing them to each other if it’s possible.

Thank you in advance
Founding

2x Lasius Niger
2x Messor Barbarus
2x Formica Fusca
2x Lasius Flavus
3x Myrmica Rubra

JakeM0816

Re: Combining fusca queens

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:03 pm

You could connect the test tubes together and give them some time, do not forcibly put one with the other, this does not always work out even though they are polygynos so I advise you to keep them separate, I know it’s cool forming a big super colony but in most cases the strongest queen survives and will most likely be injured. I’d say keep them apart as they will take about a full year to get to need a different setup. Good luck
Founding:
3xTetramorium Immigrans
1xcamponatus Pennsylvanicus

Huntley GAN Farmer :D

Macatak

Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:27 pm

Cheers, I’ll keep them separate then as I don’t want either to come to harm needlessly. I guess I could sell the one in a year or so 👍🏻

Thanks for the advice
Founding

2x Lasius Niger
2x Messor Barbarus
2x Formica Fusca
2x Lasius Flavus
3x Myrmica Rubra

JakeM0816

Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:34 pm

Yeah I tried that with the False honeypot ant in N.A. and I combined 4 queens, soon enough though one by one the queens started to die so either they sprayed each other or it seemed like the workers stopped feeding one of their least favorites. If you catch more this season then maybe you could try it, as long as you know the risks and are willing to take it then try. Remember to always share your experiences on here. Happy Ant hunting!
Founding:
3xTetramorium Immigrans
1xcamponatus Pennsylvanicus

Huntley GAN Farmer :D

Batspiderfish

Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:23 pm

Do not combine your queens unless you know the species is consistently polygynous. It is always for the keeper's amusement, never for the health of their ants, and for most species it will end with one or more queens dead.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Macatak

Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:45 am

Thanks batspiderfish, I’ll definitley be keeping them separate, given the advice on here as I’ve no interest in harming them.
Founding

2x Lasius Niger
2x Messor Barbarus
2x Formica Fusca
2x Lasius Flavus
3x Myrmica Rubra