Camponotus Ant with Cut on Gaster!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Post Reply
ajwm8103
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:04 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Camponotus Ant with Cut on Gaster!

Post: # 40882Post ajwm8103
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:12 pm

A week ago I decided to feed my 5 queen ants some honey using several small pieces of tin foil. After checking up on them today, I noticed that my oldest queen ant with several larvae had a cut on her gaster! I’ve removed the tin foil and believe that it may have cut her. She seems to be walking around all right and doesn’t seem concerned, but is there anything I should do about it?

Images :
Image
Image
Image
Currently Founding -
2x Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
3x Tetramorium Immigrans

Hunter36o
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:57 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Camponotus Ant with Cut on Gaster!

Post: # 40935Post Hunter36o
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:08 am

Sorry I cannot tell 100% if she is cut but I have seen queen with swollen gasters and some sections looked lighter due to stretching. Could this be a possibility for your ant as the eggs form inside?
If she seems like its not an issue to her. I would say do nothing so you do not stress her out further. Hope this is useful to you.
Officially caring for 4 Lasius colonies :D :D :D

Founding stage:
11x Lasius Niger
1x Myrmica Rubra
1x Myrmica ??

ajwm8103
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:04 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Camponotus Ant with Cut on Gaster!

Post: # 40941Post ajwm8103
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:07 am

Hunter36o wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:08 am
Sorry I cannot tell 100% if she is cut but I have seen queen with swollen gasters and some sections looked lighter due to stretching. Could this be a possibility for your ant as the eggs form inside?
If she seems like its not an issue to her. I would say do nothing so you do not stress her out further. Hope this is useful to you.
Thanks for the advice! I’ll check back up on her in a week to see how she’s doing. If it was a cut, would it heal or might it prevent her from laying eggs?
Currently Founding -
2x Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
3x Tetramorium Immigrans

MorbidBugg
Posts: 285
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:11 pm
Location: Orangeville

Re: Camponotus Ant with Cut on Gaster!

Post: # 40954Post MorbidBugg
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:39 am

Yeah I'm not sure it's a cut as well. Perhaps h
She got bloated due to enjoying her treat and it' showing in her gaster. Or gave her the needed energy to rekick production into high gear. If she doesn't seem annoyed by it I doubt it's lethal. I've noticed when ants are hurt they pretty much do some very concerning movements. Just take a few deep breaths relax and monitor.. Good luck! keep us updated in the camponotus journal in this forum! We will be happy to help!(if we can or however we can)
Ants are life's most successful invaders. Understand and respect that power.

Hunter36o
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:57 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Camponotus Ant with Cut on Gaster!

Post: # 40956Post Hunter36o
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:45 am

ajwm8103 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:07 am
Hunter36o wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:08 am
Sorry I cannot tell 100% if she is cut but I have seen queen with swollen gasters and some sections looked lighter due to stretching. Could this be a possibility for your ant as the eggs form inside?
If she seems like its not an issue to her. I would say do nothing so you do not stress her out further. Hope this is useful to you.
Thanks for the advice! I’ll check back up on her in a week to see how she’s doing. If it was a cut, would it heal or might it prevent her from laying eggs?
Well you have not panicked stating she was acting injured and you can clearly see her checking on her brood before walking off again. If the picture are taken the order they are shown in. I think it is safe to say she will be okay. Also I see loads of people using tinfoil (as we call it) and no one has ever came back with this issue so dont be afraid to use it again. Their exoskeleton is stronger than they look.

Best of luck and keep us all up to date? :)
Officially caring for 4 Lasius colonies :D :D :D

Founding stage:
11x Lasius Niger
1x Myrmica Rubra
1x Myrmica ??

Hunter36o
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:57 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Camponotus Ant with Cut on Gaster!

Post: # 40958Post Hunter36o
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:48 am

Sorry just had another look at the pics. She has the same mark either side. It is just her gaster. If that was never their before then she has a swollen gaster and that is a good thing from what i have seen and read. She is producing at a healthy rate my friend.
Officially caring for 4 Lasius colonies :D :D :D

Founding stage:
11x Lasius Niger
1x Myrmica Rubra
1x Myrmica ??

ajwm8103
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:04 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Camponotus Ant with Cut on Gaster!

Post: # 41126Post ajwm8103
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:41 pm

Hunter36o wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:48 am
Sorry just had another look at the pics. She has the same mark either side. It is just her gaster. If that was never their before then she has a swollen gaster and that is a good thing from what i have seen and read. She is producing at a healthy rate my friend.
Good! Thank you everybody for the help :)
I’ll make a post on the Camponotus Journal when anything else interesting happens.
Currently Founding -
2x Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
3x Tetramorium Immigrans

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Natebillsyou and 5 guests