Help Hibernation options

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

tavisalo

Help Hibernation options

Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:35 am

I'm thinking of starting ant farm, but I is not got no place to ants Hibernation what can I do ???? is there any good trick on what i can use ???

I live in south Finland

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Help Hibernation options

Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:09 am

Hello tavisalo,

The hibernation would depend on the antspecies you are going to have. Lasius Niger for example prefers to hibernate between a temperatur of 5-8°C which can be inside a fridge. A colony like Messor Barbarus is happy with a hibernation from 8-15°C during the winter. So it will depend on your antcolony. It would be good if you had a seperate room your could keep on such a temperatur but that will depend on the colony you would get.

I don't know which colonies are native to finnland but colonies from the tropic don't need to hibernate much or at all but those also need high temperaturs inside their setup.

Perhaps you should first check which colonies interest you so you can tell us which colonie you would like to get and we can provide you with the needed informations and ideas and tips on how to keep and hibernate them.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

tavisalo

Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:31 am

Lasius niger find in wild from here in Finland
http://www.antwiki.org/wiki/Finland
no tropical species here is very cold and long in winter for about 6 months long

Myrmica rubra colony i want start growing

AntsLuxembourg

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:30 am

Lasius Niger and Myrmica rubra need a temperature between 5-8 degree during their hibernation period and the period for both is usually from end of october to end of march so you can start to hibernate both colonies at the same time. To see if your fridge is suitable for them to keep you could put in a thermometer to make sure they got the right temperatur inside for that period.

If you have any more questions about them just let me know.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

tavisalo

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:36 am

Thanks