What shall I do with my queen ants?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Moltonman

What shall I do with my queen ants?

Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:03 pm

Found a few queen ants today but it might be a little to much for me to handle I dont want to kill them or release them to start colonies in peoples houses. What should I do with them. I have about 200 queen ants.

DictaruraSrl

Re: What shall I do with my queen ants?

Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:07 pm

You can giveaway or sell them with the help of the GAN project.

Batspiderfish

Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:43 pm

That's the question you should ask at about 5 queens!
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntsLuxembourg

Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:05 am

How many queens did you really caught? Probably not 200.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

Moltonman

Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:37 pm

I actually have about 200 I'm sure a few of them are males though. They are all pavement ant queens. Went outside and there was about 500 in a kiddy pool breeding. I could tell they were quens because they had wings all over the pool. I collected as much as I can witch was about 200 and then I dident want 300 pavement ants in my yard so I filled the pool up with water killing the rest.. I put about 20 in tubes.

AntsLuxembourg

Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:05 pm

so you massmurdered queens and only seperated 20 of them. The rest is still in the same bottle/bucket/whatever you used. :shock: :o
That's very uncool since we are all for AntLove Forever or at least most of us.

You know you could just drive like a few miles in any direction and drop them of there so they are no longer inside your garden. Btw. I'm sure that there are more than those coming for mating inside your garden. The nuptialflights still aren't over yet so there might be more queens coming but they will neutralize each other anyway by laying their eggs then their workers will find the other nests of the slower queens and go after them. So you won't have all 500 queens inside your garden.

Well leaving the Massmurder asider (even tho it's quite evil you know >:C) you should just offer the queens which layed any eggs via the GAN-Project.

Anyway. Next time, just catch them all and drop them somewhere else far away from your home so they can't get to hard in your garden. If you don't want to offer the other queens via the gan project then please just release them somewhere away from your garden as well. Much nicer for the ants.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

AntsLuxembourg

Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:10 pm

Are you sure the three queens had a head when you caught them? Also could you perhaps take some more pictures of them and give some informations about them? Like where did you find them and how tall are they all. Would like to check something. ;D

Moltonman

Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:06 pm

I love ants and was sad when I had to kill them but i could not handle that ammount of ants they were crawling out of the pool faster then I could grab them and going into cracks in my padio grass flower beds and all over my yard so i decided it would be best to grab as many as I could and kill the rest before I had to massmurder about 60 colonies not just queen ants in my cracks and flowers. I am not over 18 so I cant sell them in gan so I just took the rest I had to a forest by my house. I still have some pictures of the almost 200 ants I captured though.this website wont let me post pictures cause there so big but I will see if I can make them smaller. My pool seems to attract a large amount of queens ready to breed i don't know why.

AntsLuxembourg

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:57 am

Put the pictures on imgur and when you post them here you only need to do it like this. [.img]https://imgur.com/YyBz9fz.jpg[/img.] without the dots inside the squared brackets of course. And don't forget to add ".jpg" at the end of the link.

idahoantgirl

Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:08 am

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:05 pm
so you massmurdered queens and only seperated 20 of them. The rest is still in the same bottle/bucket/whatever you used. :shock: :o
That's very uncool since we are all for AntLove Forever or at least most of us.

You know you could just drive like a few miles in any direction and drop them of there so they are no longer inside your garden. Btw. I'm sure that there are more than those coming for mating inside your garden. The nuptialflights still aren't over yet so there might be more queens coming but they will neutralize each other anyway by laying their eggs then their workers will find the other nests of the slower queens and go after them. So you won't have all 500 queens inside your garden.

Well leaving the Massmurder asider (even tho it's quite evil you know >:C) you should just offer the queens which layed any eggs via the GAN-Project.

Anyway. Next time, just catch them all and drop them somewhere else far away from your home so they can't get to hard in your garden. If you don't want to offer the other queens via the gan project then please just release them somewhere away from your garden as well. Much nicer for the ants.
Ummmm.... they are just ants..... and anyways do you know how hard it is to drown an ant? Its not wrong to put some ants out of their misery, and you can't expect people to go out of their way to collect and dump a bunch of ants somewhere.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile