Weaver ant queen captured by weaver ant tree colonists

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Duriant

Weaver ant queen captured by weaver ant tree colonists

Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:24 am

Hello there. Im totally new to ant keeping. I have a colony of weaver ants on a fruit tree in the Philippines. While observing them one day under the tree canopy, a large green winged ant about an inch long (queen Weaver ant?) just fell on the ground and almost immediately it seemed like, it had about a dozen yellow Weaver ants pinning and tugging on it. My question is, was that likely an invading queen that the colonists kicked out from above or did the colonists capture it and were about to hold it captive or to be eaten? I'm just curious what could have been happening there and would appreciate senior antologists insights....I didnt stick around long enough to see what they did with it. Thanks in advance.

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Weaver ant queen captured by weaver ant tree colonists

Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:34 am

well it could really just be as you said a queenants trying to check out the nest to see if it was empty to discover that it isn't so she got kicked out. Perhaps it was a new queen ant looking for a male one to mate and she was attracted by the pheromones of a male but then fell down and was swarmed with workers of a diffrent colony which then decided to have some queenant for lunch or dinner.

Those are only guesses but I hope they helped you. Btw lucky you that a weaver queen ant has chosen your tree to build it's nest inside. ;D
You can keep them someone like your pets. :D
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.