My queen has abandoned her eggs. Help.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

FaranAli

Re: My queen has abandoned her eggs. Help.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:35 am

Woaah......Mites????.i think..................................................... :( :( :(
Keeper of Pheidole Pallidula with about 15-20 workers and bunch of brood 8-) 8-) 8-) ...(2 Queen)

EerieEcho

Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:40 am

I'm not sure. :( I hope it isn't since I dont see anything on her that could be mite-like, but just in case what should I do? The poor girl has been freaking out for a whole day and I can't get her to rest for a little bit. Any longer and she might not be moving soon :( It genuinely looks like a seizure but ants don't have brains big enough for that, right? I've moved her out of the container with the eggs, since I can afford to lose a few eggs, but not her. She is in a bigger container with rocks to help her flip back over when I'm not around. Any help would be amazing! :(((
Current forming colonies:
Unknown species.

FaranAli

Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:01 am

Count her legs,are they 6
Keeper of Pheidole Pallidula with about 15-20 workers and bunch of brood 8-) 8-) 8-) ...(2 Queen)

EerieEcho

Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:17 am

Yes, there are six legs. If I could send a video of her behavior I would, but it's too heart breaking :/
Unknown species.

FaranAli

Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:16 am

I can understand your feelings..... :( :( :(

EerieEcho

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:59 am

After a long battle, Queen Victoria the carpenter ant is passing away :( I went to check on her a couple of hours ago and she was barely twitching anymore. The life has near left her body. She was clamped onto the cotton for dear life. I know she is not dead yet, but come morning I know she will be gone.

On a brighter note, the new ants I had captured (I got like ten queens in Geneva Ohio, all the same species) are starting to lay their own eggs! They are so tiny, like the tips of a needle! So in the end, Victoria laid the ground work for my new colonies, and she will be missed dearly. If I could have a second chance with a camponotus pennsylvanicus, I would take it in a heartbeat. She was a good ant.
Unknown species.

AntsLuxembourg

Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:10 am

Come on dude don't be this down. She might survive this but it is difficult to say without a very clear picture or video. Btw I also got a queen ant which was holding on for dear life on the cotton with the water because she can't hold on to the walls of glass or plasitc. xD

It might just be the behaviour of that queen. Well let us know if she is still alive.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

EerieEcho

Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:17 am

She is in the dead insect position where they cross their legs, the only part of her moving now is her antennae, I'm fairly sure she is dying and I wish I knew why. But yes, I will keep you posted. But the best way to describe it is she lost control of her front two legs first, then it slowly progressed to all of her legs. She then had them all folded inwards and could not move at all apart from moving with her elbows, which flipped her over time and time again. It's sad because in the end she had five eggs, all have died now because she cannot care for them.

Maybe it's because it was my first queen ant, but I really did bond with her very closely and it's harder when you name them and get attached ^^; It'll be either tomorrow or the day after, but yeah, as far as I can tell, she is dead. I hate to think that maybe I caused her to be too stressed by checking so often, but even that shouldn't have caused her to physically shut down like she had. She literally had progressive paralysis. :/ It's weird.

Also, these new queens from research look like lasius niger, and I happen to see in your box that you have a lasius niger colony. Do you happen to have photos to compare with? I'd really like to know what these queens are and how best to care for them all. Any information you can share?
Unknown species.

EerieEcho

Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:36 am

This is a video I just took. She started showing life again, but her jaws are still locked shut, but she is reacting to the bright light.

https://imgur.com/a/6fqVsyA
Unknown species.

TheRealAntMan

Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:31 am

Can post picture of the whole setup, I think I might know what had happened.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.