My queen has abandoned her eggs. Help.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

EerieEcho

Re: My queen has abandoned her eggs. Help.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:45 am

Sad thing is there are so many ways to treat fungus, I just would have had to find the right solution for her. If only I had known. At least if it happens with my new queens I'll definately be ready for it!
Current forming colonies:
Unknown species.

EerieEcho

Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:25 pm

Yeah, still a bummer, though. :/ I feel like all of the help thus far was in vain, first with the not laying, then with the abandoning of eggs, and now we have ant death on the table. Victoria was drama, lots of drama. Drama mama. Anyways!

I now have five queens laying, but one of the five ate her eggs so now we are back down to four... Yay? I moved the test tubes to a separate spot as the others that I will be checking on daily to help them have some peace, I know what stress can do now so I'm hoping this will be a bit better. three of the test tubes have at least 20 eggs in them, so I am hopeful for them to make it! But yeah, after lots of research (literally stayed up til 5 am, not fun), definitely Tetramorium sp. E. So... yay lil midget ants. I will be the first to say I wish I still had my carpenter ant queen alive, I like the bigger ants a bit better personally, but I will study these girls closely and see how they behave as practice for next year! :3

So far, I am observing that they like moisture a lot as they are using the cotton ball plugging the water as a laying ground for their eggs, not a single queen has laid eggs away from the water plug, which is definitely a difference from Victoria as she laid her eggs where it was dry. Also, the eggs are... really tiny, like pin-point tiny. But it has been five days for the first two girls so according to research, six more days to go until they hatch. :)
Unknown species.

AntsLuxembourg

Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:18 am

You are not alone. I would also prefer to have a camponotus queen but I've got multiple colonies already so I will have to see if they are all fertile. Three I will have to release because no eggs and they seem to be unfertile. Or I wait for them to hatch a male so I can put them inside the same testtube for the fertilization.

Btw my coworker got me a little something for the fashion queen ant thing we had our laughs about haha ^^
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

EerieEcho

Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:21 am

Oh my gosh she is perfect XD She is absolutely beautiful! Your coworker has so real talent! I wish I had that much skill.

But yeah the greatest news came yesterday, went to check on the queens who had laid, baby ants are hatching :3 they are so small but mom is carrying them around to help them drink water and my god it is amazing to watch! The other's eggs haven't hatched yet but judoing the fact that another female who also has eggs laid the same day, others will start to hatch soon!

I probably should release my two Virgin queens, but I have to find a spot with no ants, which 's hard since there is two tetramorium nests in my back yard and a Camponatus in my front. There is no where safe for them to go XP
Unknown species.

idahoantgirl

Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:29 am

Sorry to break it to ya, but there is no "safe" place for her anywhere, since she is going to die if she has not mated.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

TheDailyToast

Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:45 am

EerieEcho wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:20 am
It is confirmed, Victoria is dead. And as an added bonus, I know what killed her now. Only a day after I wrote, fungus was using her body as a garden! She had a fungal infection :(
Im afraid my queen is showing very similar symptoms as yours! She is a camponotus and has already layed eggs. She had a small amount of mold (managed to get it out). How can I cure this fungul infection???

CabboAntsGuy

Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:13 am

Just so you know Mr. Toast, these posts are from two years ago. this topic has pretty much died.
Keep:
3 camponotus pennsylvanicus
2 formica subsericea
The Camponotus Crew! https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267
Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

TheDailyToast

Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:03 am

Yeah, I know, this is the only one I can find mentioning fungul infection cure so I just am trying

Antmanboy

Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:52 pm

I read this entire thing and only now saw it was from 2 years ago wow

EerieEcho

Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:57 pm

I noticed people were back here. What I ended up doing to get rid of the mold, or try to anyway, was simply moving the queen to a fresh setup. The process is on youtube in a few places, but basically, you connect a fresh test tube that has already been set up for ant living to the old test tube using tape. Cover the new half with a towel or something similar and shine a bright light on the old half. After about a day or two, the queen will move her eggs to the new test tube and the mold problem is solved!

As for ants who have already succumbed to a fungus attack, there was nothing that I could do for my Camponotus queen. She did end up passing away. This is why I take precautions now by pre-cleaning the test tubes before they house ants. I don't use chemicals, only dish soap and then let the entire set up dry for a good three days. After that, they can be used for ant housing. This ensures that there are no lingering whatevers in the test tube before the queen moves in. I also have swapped from tap water to bottled as another precaution, as tap water can hide the bad particles. I'm hoping this helps anyone else who comes over here!
Unknown species.