Can I intro a queen to colony without one

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Ryderw

Can I intro a queen to colony without one

Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:14 pm

I was recently given a trap jaw colony without a queen but i have a queen i found, can i introduce the queen to the colony and have them take it in and treat it as their own? The type of trap jaw is Odontomachus brunneus i cant find much research on the ants so i dont know if they tolerate more then one queen but if they happened to not would they take the queen in.
new keeper

Alexander

Re: Can I intro a queen to colony without one

Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:11 am

First of alll i must say that i have no experience whith Odontomachus brunneus,

So i whent to the biggest ant selling website on europe and serched for this sp. ,
https://www.antstore.net/shop/en/ants/Ants-from-America/Odontomachus-brunneus-5252.html
It turns out that odontomachus-brunneus is monogyne, this will make things more difficult if you are trying to add a queen to a queenless colony.

One of my friends had a lasius niger colony for about 2 years and it was prety big having about 2000 workers, the queen died and he was able to introduce another queen by putting his ants in the frige for a few minutes and then adding the new queen!
However, this is not a great example because the new queen died some weeks after and the colony failed.

Its probably possible to add a queen to your colony, but it has a really high failure rate so you need to decide if you want to take the risk or just wait and get a colony just from your queen!

Hope this helped,
Keeper of:
Lasius niger
Messor barbarus
Campanotus Barbaricus
Tetramorium Caespitum
Campanotus Vagus
Tapinoma nigerium
Iberoformica subrufa