New Queen - Formica sp.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

PTackett

New Queen - Formica sp.

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:21 pm

Hey guys, I just caught a new queen yesterday afternoon, and she's in her tube setup now.

Someone at the ant ID forum was kind enough to let me know she is "Formica sp." and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to care for her later on down the road? Do they like their nests wet or dry? What kind of food do they like? Do ants feel more comfortable if you tailor their outworld to match their natural habitat? Would they be aphid tenders in the wild?

She is my first queen ever, and if she's fertilized this will be my first colony, so I'm a little nervous about caring for her. I tried googling for information on formica sp. but don't seem to be having much luck on finding how to care for them. Will the tutorials for tetramorium or camponotus on the AC channel suffice for these?

Batspiderfish

Re: New Queen - Formica sp.

Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:39 pm

The "sp." part just means "a species of Formica". Your queen is in the pallidefulva group, so looking up care for that species will suffice.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

PTackett

Re: New Queen - Formica sp.

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:55 pm

Thanks, that name definitely had more info. Out of curiosity how can you tell what kind of formica ant it is? Is it just the color, or?