Brachyponera chinesis Anyone kept them before?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Khubla

Brachyponera chinesis Anyone kept them before?

Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:03 pm

I caught a Brachyponera chinesis queen this morning. I can't find much information on them. From what I have found they are probably semi-claustral. It also looks like after their first year most queens stop laying eggs in favor of newly mated queens that have joined the colony. Does anyone have much experience raising a colony? Is it even worth trying?

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Brachyponera chinesis Anyone kept them before?

Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:00 am

Where have you looked? I mean I could find this with a simple search of the species http://www.antwiki.org/wiki/Brachyponera_chinensis.
Hope it helps you. About the question wether or not it's worth keeping it I would say give it a try and find out. You can still catch other ants in case you don't want to keep this one and pass it to someone via the GAN-Project.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

Khubla

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:36 am

I found that and a few other websites. I was just more curious if anyone had any first hand experience or tips. I'll keep her with my other queens in a set up and see what happens. If the queen does start a colony and then stops laying eggs after a year I may try catching a new queen or 3 and introducing them. Should be an Interesting experience if it works out. Thanks for the help.

AntDudeUSA

Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:59 pm

I must say thank you for this :lol: I saw that your in nc and me being curious looked up that species and low and behold its a ant that ive found around my house for awhile now but had no idea what they were I always thought they looked cool with their super sleek body
Keeper of
x1 Camponotus Penslyvanicus
x1 Formica Subscerica
x1 Tetramorium Caespitum
x1 Solenopsis Invicta
x1 Pheidole sp
x1 Dorymyrmex Bureni