Queen tube move

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

NYAnts11

Queen tube move

Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:13 am

I just recieved my AntsCanada tubes which are a tad bit better than the ones i was using plus it will make the move into the nest and such much easier as they are compatible.

Ive got 3 tetramorium queens all fertile. One already moved to one tube as it only had 2 eggs in its mouth.

Queen #2 is 2 days old to the tube and already has 6 to 8 eggs. Most in her mouth but having trouble holding the other 2 or 3.

Queen #3 is the oldest to the tubes its an extra 4 days old. Has way more eggs and same thing having trouble holding all of them in her mouth as 4 to 6 she cant hold.

Here is the setup in hopes they move to the new test tubes. The new tubes are hidden under the black clothes.

Open for opinions or ideas to assist in move.

NYAnts11

Re: Queen tube move

Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:24 am

Is this a dumb move? The oldest queen has most her offspring curled up with her.

As the newer one seems slightly willing to make her move. One of her eggs is actually on her gastor. Haha. Nice move.

AntsLuxembourg

Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:51 am

What is your question again? I'm not sure what to tell you. :lol:
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony. After the research you can still go and fetsh a colony from one of your local GAN-Farmers.

My current colonies:
1 Lasius Niger Colony

Alexander

Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:29 am

Well i thik your set up could realy inprove whith the AntsCanada test tubes!
I would advise you to make the move beacause in the future when thouse queens have workers it will be way easier for you to care for them in proper thest tubes rather then in your curent set up...

You have lots of opcions whith encouragin your queens to move but what i find it workes best for me is light.
you can conect the test tube to your curent set up make the test tube set up nice and dark and the other one exposed to indirect light and just wait!

Good luck
Hope this helped,
Keeper of:
Lasius niger,
Messor barbarus
Campanotus Barbaricus
Pheidole Palidula

NYAnts11

Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:40 am

I waited about 24 hrs and the queens didnt want to move into the new test tubes, so instead of stressing them out I just decided to re-plug the tubes they were in and put them back into total darkness when the temp is better regulated for them as well.

I'll just wait until the water dries up, cotton goes moldy, or colony grows to large then attempt a move. As I've just recieved 2 starter kits, a lasisus hybrid nest with a outworld. I should be set for a while. I'll probaby get a tetramorium hybrid nest and another outworld, along with a omni-nest for the 3rd queen.

AntsLuxembourg

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:14 am

I can also sugguest to just tipp the whole inside of the tube into the new tube or if you want to do it a bit more pieceful darken the area you want them to settle and put a bright light on the queen. This way she might decide to move due to brightness. But perhaps just wait some days so she can relax for a while. Too much stress isn't good for our colonies.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony. After the research you can still go and fetsh a colony from one of your local GAN-Farmers.

My current colonies:
1 Lasius Niger Colony