Queen ant

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Batspiderfish

Re: Queen ant

Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:53 am

Most likely Camponotus americanus or C. semitestaceus, but these can't be identified in your region from color alone.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

ethergear

Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:14 am

Batspiderfish, thank you so much for giving me those names to research!

Looking at the images of them both on BugGuide, I think I have a pair of C. semitestaceus queens. Mine have the right coloration and variation, and a sort of dark spot at the end of the gaster rather than a stripiness to the gaster.

Right now, as far as I can tell, beyond a test tube setup in a warm corner at the moment they seem to want nothing. They've each laid ten or so eggs, some of which I see have dark spots and are presumably developing into brood.

I can find almost nothing about these ants online, and nothing at all about their biology. I have watched a lot of AntsCanada :) and I understand Camponotus ants are claustral. My current plan is to wait until I see the first worker, and attempt to initiate feeding with honey and/or very small pre killed feeder insects like fruit fly larvae or something. I think that in any case I have some weeks until the first workers are ready.

I do have some bad news - although I got my camera back from the cleaners, my photos all turned out terrible and I don't dare disturb their majesties for a week at least. No photos this time around!

The good news is, the video turned out pretty OK! Thanks again for reading!
https://youtu.be/cBDW9hvixxY

NKantsalberta

Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:57 pm

Are these species native to Alberta, Canada? SO beautiful!
GAN farmer for Edmonton and area, Alberta, Canada.

Facebook/Instagram : @NKantsalberta

Alberta Keeper's FB Group : Alberta Ant Keepers and Enthusiasts