Keep Queen In Air Conditioned Room?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

KooYon

Keep Queen In Air Conditioned Room?

Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:53 pm

Hello, I am VERY new to ant keeping. I only caught my first queen about a week ago. I have been doing more research online and on youtube. I have learned that a lot of people either keep their ants in a room that has the Air conditioner off or in a garage/storage, or on a heating pad. I am currently keeping my queen in a drawer that I rarely use, which is located in my bedroom. I just checked on her today and she already has what appears to be 2 eggs.

I'm wondering if I should move her to a storage room I have attached to my house that isn't cooled or should I keep her in my bedroom.
She's a Pogonymermex Sp and I know their founding burrows are about 6 to 12 inches deep, which would keep her a little cooler than the 100-105 degree F temperatures it has been getting to here each day.

Thanks for the help.

PS - Shes in a regular test tube setup.

StormDancer

Re: Keep Queen In Air Conditioned Room?

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:03 pm

You'll need to give her somewhere to forage. Most Pogos as far as I know are semi claustral. If she's laying, she's likely content. Check the temp in the drawer you have her in. You probably don't have to move her. Even if she isn't quite up to 80 degrees the colony will just grow slower.
Learn to dance in the rain, because after there are queens to find!

AntsLuxembourg

Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:50 am

There was actually a video about this on AntsCanada which mentioned that ants can heat themself but it would be good to offer the colony a spot with heat so they can choose between the warm and cool area.

Alright I searched a little bit and found the video immediatly. Hope it helps. :D
https://youtu.be/2BaYJx9LzSc?t=11m24s
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony. After the research you can still go and fetsh a colony from one of your local GAN-Farmers.

Founding colonies:
10 - Lasius Niger Colony
1 - Messor Barbarus

crisp90

Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:01 am

These hecks are surely gonna help. Such a amazing thread to read.