Switching test tubes

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Barfdog

Switching test tubes

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:49 pm

I'm sure I've made a post about something similar to this in the past. However, some aspects are different now.

I have a Camponotus Laevigatus queen and she has had her first workers and is on her first full year with me(caught last May). She's an absolute UNIT, and is very special to me.

Her test tube is finally running to an end on its water, but I have her connected to a test tube portal, the two tube connected are always covered so she has a backup tube. However, I have fears and have had issues in the past with queens not moving once water supply has run out. So if anyone would like to share some reassurance from a previous similar experience that would be awesome.

Heres a photo, just to put into perspective the size of these gals measuring at 2.3cm!:

https://imgur.com/a/dstaTBt

Keeper of:

One M1ABRAMS TANK AKA Camponotus Laevigatus Queen

colo3000

Re: Switching test tubes

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:15 pm

The water may run out but the cotton could still be moist enough for her. A queen will move if she feels that her environment is unsuitable for her. From my experience, I’d say the worst thing you can do with a queen ant is worry too much and try to make her do something she doesn’t want to do. Sounds like what you’re doing should be perfect. And even if the queen ant is being stubborn, her workers will usually drag her along to a good place.
-Colo3000

Barfdog

Re: Switching test tubes

Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:40 am

Thanks for the reassurance. Most of my worry comes from all the failures I've had in the past.

I guess I'm just getting tired of getting attached to an awesome specie or colony only to have fate and unfortunate mishaps occur.

Thanks for the reassurance though, check out my other post about this enormous tank of a queen ant.
Keeper of:

One M1ABRAMS TANK AKA Camponotus Laevigatus Queen